Quantcast
Torn between Sakai Yusuke KS clone and Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torn between Sakai Yusuke KS clone and Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto

Torn between Sakai Yusuke KS clone and Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto

Hi all,

I've seen the excited reviews of the new Sakai Yusuke KS-profiled 240 gyuto here, and was planning to order one soon, but I just noticed that the Konosuke HD 240 Funayuki/Gyuto is about the same price and currently in stock.
    I understand they're very different knives: the Konosuke's a laser, the Yusuke is thicker and stiffer with a reportedly very nice convex grind.
    Could you help me go over the advatages of each to help me decide?

Has anyone tried both (or the regular Konosuke HD), and could describe the difference in cutting performance and feel?

I expect the Konosuke would have slightly better edge retention, at the cost of being semi-stainless, and that both steels would get similarly sharp. Fit and finish should be similar also.
    I think I'd enjoy both blade shapes very much - long flat spot and pointy tip. I guess the Yusuke is marginally better at rocking because of the higher tip.

well sakai yusuke 240 is out of stock on ****. you'll have to wait til there's stock.

Well ASAIK both Yusuke and Kono are in the "laser" family and there shouldn't be a lot of difference in the thickness

Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper View Post
    Well ASAIK both Yusuke and Kono are in the "laser" family and there shouldn't be a lot of difference in the thickness
    The Yusuke KS clone was a special order, 2.8 mm thick at the heel instead of the standard 2.2, and about 30 grams heavier at ~170g

Perneto, I think you highlighted the main differences already and you really know about all you can without handling them. At this point id say you just need to decide what you're in for.

Personally I'd go for the Yusuke, but then I (have) own/ed several Konosuke knives already.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Is there anywhere else to buy konosuke other than ....? Like direct from maker? A few other brands this can be done for a considerable price drop...

tosho knife arts sells them but they're in canada.

If you can wait until they're in stock, I'd get the Sakai Yusuke. I think the fit and finish should be better on it, and I think the grind on the Yusukes should be better also

I've been reading the overall quality and price to performance ratio is better on Sakai Yusuke than Konosuke, now. Realistically, being made where they are, I'd say they are likely made in the same place (or 3 of 4 components/processes), and then finish assembled at a different place. I have no way of knowing for sure, but that's my feeling.

I "had" a Kono for a little while and loved it. I now have a Masamoto KS and LOVE it! The profile is perfect, the look is perfectly simple...if the SY is close, you'll love it too. Go with the one that excites you more, when you look at it; I honestly don't think you'll regret either purchase.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a good bit of info in a thread in the review section. Here's a post by member Aphex comparing the KS clone to a Suisin Honyaki wa-gyuto, which should be very similar to the Kono:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...l=1#post163575