Quantcast
Torn between Sakai Yusuke KS clone and Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torn between Sakai Yusuke KS clone and Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto

Ah, thanks, I didn't notice Aphex's update comparing it to a Suisin. All right, back to waiting for Bluewayjapan to have the Yusuke in stock again (I did place a pre-order with Keiichi already).

(franzb69, I guess you don't know the "bluewayjapan" ebay store? That's where people have been getting Yusuke knives before that site started stocking them recently. They're still cheaper there, much cheaper if you don't live in the US as that's a Japanese store.)

I have had both, still have to kono hd. Both are very similar, the sakai yusuki is ss, while the kono is a semi ss. Both get real sharp, both retain edges well, and the fit and finish is not much different. I think i would give a slight advantage to the sakai as far as overall sharpness is concerned, but both get scary sh.arp. And the only reason i do not have the sakai is that i gave it away to a friend

I've owned several of each. The Yusuke has better f&f. The handle is tapered, and smooth. The grind is perfect, and the blade finish is more fine.

For some dumb reason, they don't etched the kanji, which drives me nuts.

I think Konosuke HD steel edges out anything Yusuke uses.

It's a toss up, but if Yusuke is also mimicking the grind, and not just the profile, I'd go with that.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

id go with sakai also, the grind on that knife is supposed to be awesome and konos run short. a 232mm is just too short for me. i owned the kono funi and the masamoto ks, i would much prefer the sakai or the kono over the masamoto ks.

I guess you don't know the "bluewayjapan" ebay store?
    actually i do, but things complicating my purchasing ability direct from japan is forcing me to buy from american based online stores. i don't have to pay "fictional" overly high customs taxes so i don't have to bribe customs officers. it ends up cheaper for me to get from them.

and i didn't mention blueway coz they too don't have them in stock.

my bad.

i quite like sakai if i had the choice.

One of the main differences is the Yusuke is thicker at the spine, which allows a greater convex edge and stiffness overall.

I've never used a Kono, so I can't comment of F&F or steel comparisons. You can't go wrong with either, but I'd get a Yusuke. Keiichi did a lot of work w/ Yusuke to get this knife dialed in. It's worth the wait.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I sent Keiichi a message through ebay about a few deba and the KS clone a few days ago. He has yet to respond, and his customer service is normally superhuman, does he have an e-mail that might present a better way to reach him?
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

I suggesst be patient with him. He's extremely busy, and there's a big time difference. You can always send him a follow up e-mail if you don't hear from him in a couple of days.

I wasn't suggesting that I was losing patience, more just wondering what form of communication everyone else uses to get in touch with him. The format of the ebay message seems inherently informal and not very user friendly for business transactions. I was hoping someone had a direct e-mail address.
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

I understand where you're coming from. eBay is the best way, informal as it seems.

+ Reply to Thread