Quantcast
Torn between Sakai Yusuke KS clone and Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torn between Sakai Yusuke KS clone and Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto

Just to build on this thread, does anyone have both the sakai yusuke in the flat profile AND the Konosuke funayuki and, if so, would you be willing to post a side-by-side photo so we can compare the profiles? I've had the Kono for a couple of weeks now and I'm curious to see if the ks profile has a large flat spot.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    Just to build on this thread, does anyone have both the sakai yusuke in the flat profile AND the Konosuke funayuki and, if so, would you be willing to post a side-by-side photo so we can compare the profiles? I've had the Kono for a couple of weeks now and I'm curious to see if the ks profile has a large flat spot.
    Obviously if anyone has the Kono funayuki and a masamoto ks, that would be just as helpful. Thanks.

The KS and the Sakai yusuke in flat profile don't appear to be that close to me though I have a hard time visually distinguishing. Side by side comparison by mpukas here of the KS and Sakai.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I see what you mean though because the knives in the photo are different lengths (and especially since the SY's run short and the masamotos long), it's extra hard to tell.

Anyway if anyone can do a side to side on either next to the Kono, it would be much appreciated!

i think the masamoto in that picture may have a slightly higher tip. the yusuke seems less flat towards the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i think the masamoto in that picture may have a slightly higher tip. the yusuke seems less flat towards the tip.
    +1, even more important is the geometry difference which seems quite noticeable
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I prefer the Yusuke, atleast visually. It looks less extreme.

Just to add a few words on the subject. I sharpened my stainless Yusuke KS clone for the first time last week, and my god does this thing get sharp. This knife has made me re-evaluate my views on stainless steel as i can quite honestly say that i can't tell the difference this and most of my carbon knives in terms of ultimate sharpness.

For those of you concidering this knife, all i can say is that it's the real deal.

Do you know the exact species of steel used in the stainless? How was it in terms of ease on sharpening compared to a carbon?

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    Don't assume that it is a clone. Most western style knives produced in Sakai have a similar profile, but not identical. Typically, the flat spot is about 1/3 of the lengh of the blade.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com