Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red brick 1k

Red brick 1k

Hello. From reading on another post I see this stone was being discussed. My question is from what I was gathering there is two of them both named Akamon. One from Imanishi and one from Naniwa. Now if i read that correctly Dave said the Imanishi was junk and the Naniwa was the quite good. I've looked and a certain vendor who sells quite a bit online has the Imanishi stone. If this is the crap one where does one find the Naniwa Akamon? I'm wanting to get something to basically replace my King combo 1k/6k as it's pretty small and I really like that giant brick.

I think Jon kind of replaced it with the Gesshin 1000 extra large stone. That thing looks like a beast!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Jon may be able to order the akamon for you. It would be worth it to send him a pm about it. I think it is a fantastic stone for me. And is indespensible when sharpening large knives.

I'll ask him. Is it different than the one the other site sells? the one listed as Iminashi? they're both called the same thing.

I have no experience with the imanishi but I would trust Dave's opinion of it. If he says they're very different than so it is. The naniwa akamon on the other hand has a very "baby bear" not too hard not too soft feel amazing size, it's like sharpening on two sharpening stones at once, decent cutting speed, I like my chosera a little better in this area, and the finish it leaves is very even with no deep scratching or gouging. It is my go to stone for most of the sharpening i do for the other guys at either of my jobs( I leave it perma-soaking at my full time job along with a beston 500 and suehiro rika )

From what I've seen the "Imanishi red brick 1k" in question is actually a 2k stone not made by Imanishi at all (although likely purchased through them by the retailer).

The "Naniwa red brick 1k" is actually a 1k stone made by Naniwa.

These are two completely different stones although commonly referred to by the same name - Akamonzen Naka-Toishi

Be wary of sizes when shopping & comparing - both stones being talked about come in different sizes/thicknesses

I looked for the "Naniwa Big Red Brick" because Naniwa is a favorite, but no such luck. I settled on this one for $25 and I LIKE IT. Econo style that cuts FAST. Seems to dish about like my King 1k at half the price.

http://www.hidatool.com/woodworking/...tone-1000-grit

PZ

Naniwa Aotoshi 2K Green Brick.

Imanishi Shingata Akamon 1K Red Brick.

They are both sold at "that other place".

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    Naniwa Aotoshi 2K Green Brick.

Imanishi Shingata Akamon 1K Red Brick.

They are both sold at "that other place".
    We're not looking for those stones though.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/