Red brick 1k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicv

Reaction score
Hello. From reading on another post I see this stone was being discussed. My question is from what I was gathering there is two of them both named Akamon. One from Imanishi and one from Naniwa. Now if i read that correctly Dave said the Imanishi was junk and the Naniwa was the quite good. I've looked and a certain vendor who sells quite a bit online has the Imanishi stone. If this is the crap one where does one find the Naniwa Akamon? I'm wanting to get something to basically replace my King combo 1k/6k as it's pretty small and I really like that giant brick.

I think Jon kind of replaced it with the Gesshin 1000 extra large stone. That thing looks like a beast!

Jon may be able to order the akamon for you. It would be worth it to send him a pm about it. I think it is a fantastic stone for me. And is indespensible when sharpening large knives.

I'll ask him. Is it different than the one the other site sells? the one listed as Iminashi? they're both called the same thing.

I have no experience with the imanishi but I would trust Dave's opinion of it. If he says they're very different than so it is. The naniwa akamon on the other hand has a very "baby bear" not too hard not too soft feel amazing size, it's like sharpening on two sharpening stones at once, decent cutting speed, I like my chosera a little better in this area, and the finish it leaves is very even with no deep scratching or gouging. It is my go to stone for most of the sharpening i do for the other guys at either of my jobs( I leave it perma-soaking at my full time job along with a beston 500 and suehiro rika )

From what I've seen the "Imanishi red brick 1k" in question is actually a 2k stone not made by Imanishi at all (although likely purchased through them by the retailer).

The "Naniwa red brick 1k" is actually a 1k stone made by Naniwa.

These are two completely different stones although commonly referred to by the same name - Akamonzen Naka-Toishi

Be wary of sizes when shopping & comparing - both stones being talked about come in different sizes/thicknesses

YEA....the 1K JUMBO.....but where do we buy it. I saw in an earlier post you had reviewed one.

Also, thanks for all the vids you did. Spent a couple hours last night viewing your work.

THANKS,

PZ

I'm think it was kfed who reviewed it. Also Dave did back in the day. All this talking about it makes me want to get one for work.

No problem I'm glad you enjoyed the vids. Soon I should be able to start uploading again soon.

I'm think it was kfed who reviewed it.

OOOPPPSSS...yup you're correct.
I'd like to try one also. Eamon did a quick vid for me on speed sharpening and it looked like he used one. Just wish I could find some place to buy it.

PZ

I'd like one too. It's about time to replace my Bester.

Ok I sent a pm to Jon to see if he can do this. If so I'll start a new thread for the group buy

Hey I called it first so I got dibs forealzies! :knife:

Back