Quantcast
Ballotine!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballotine!!

I made one myself a couple of weeks ago. Stuffed with a mixture of duxelles and spinach plus tiny bits of bacon. For knife knuts, after watching Pepin work, I think it's hard to avoid trying this at least once. So yeah, official dish of the forum is just about it. Plus... it's CHEAP AS HELL!

Next I'm going to try to do a KKF in bacon on top of the roll!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Great, I gotta try a chicken like that this week.

I think I might give this a go tomorrow, I'm off work all week so why not. Never tried it before and I'm not yet sure about the filling

Fill it with things that you like.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Made two ducks for Mother's Day. One ballontine and the other was taken apart and used for confit, breast meat for pate stuffing, skin for crispy noshes, duck fat for the potatoes and the rest for stock.

Deboning a duck is different than chicken. Longer, stronger and tougher joints and bones, far less meat and all around trickier for a novice like me. It turned out great, though.

I modified this pate a good bit for the stuffing. Per the wife's request, no bacon, and added cherries soaked in cherry heering along with the pistachio nuts.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Duck-Pate

Also modified this blackberry sauce. Used beef and chix stock instead of canned broth so I had to put in more fruit and other sweeteners. Needed a lot of roux to thicken it but the layers of sweet fruit and savory stock were rich and complex. Surprisingly nice:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...rry-Sauce-1265

1996 La Jota 15th Anniversary Release Cab is still showing nicely integrated tannins and acidity that stood up well to the duck. This was a winter meal in springtime.

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Wow that looks good

Ok here's my attempt/ Boning the chicken was pretty straightforward, but I thought I was gonna lose my sanity when it came to tying it. Did a sorta crappy job but it kinda worked. I used a simple stuffing of mushrooms onions and breadcrumbs and topped it with streaky bacon. Advice to others, put loads of breadcrumbs in it, I wish I had put much more stuffing in mine

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Oh man I dared not take a picture, jacques pepin makes it look so easy. I was UNsuccessful in deboning the chicken instead i butterflied the two breasted put cooked mushroom onion garlic with baby spinach and parsley ontop and then added whatever other meat I had... rolled it up. Took the leg\thiegh pieces still on the bone somehow seperate stuffed that with the mix as well. It came out super yummy but I was so disapointed in the inability to debone the chicken

When I did it I think I pulled a little too hard and totally destroyed the carcass and it split into a million little bits. It's amazing that such a short video can actually be so detailed. I put it on my phone so I could watch it whilst I was doing it