gyuto Misono 180 mm or .....?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackice

Reaction score
Hi, i would buy a new knife , santoku or a 180mm gyuto. I see a gyuto Misono ux10 230 dollars, but before buy it i want ask you if is a good price and if this is the best knife with this price. Santoku misono is most expensive and 230 dollars is my budget. Thnaks everybody :)

I'm a huge Misono fan, and if you're set on Misono, go for the moly for less than half the price. HOWEVER, get something different if you want to spend $230....

Moly need more maintenance than ux10? maintenance is like carbonext?

if you plan on purchasing a gyuto i would get atleast a 210mm. also, i think the ux10 is pretty overpriced fir what it is honestly. i prefer either the swedish carbon or the 440.

Nah, the moly is softer, but takes a ridiculous edge and is really thin BTE (all over, actually). Pretty good release too, for a flatter grind.

The UX-10 is clearly overpriced. Love them, but at this price point...
Consider the Swedish Carbon if you want to stick with Misono, or see the Hiromoto AS or G3.

japanesechefsknife.com carrys all the misono lines, plus koki offers great customer service. you might want to get in touch with him and he could help you with your decision.
also, he carries both hiromoto lines, if youre interested.

i have a carbonext 270 mm and i want buy a smaller. what knife do you buy with this budget? misono moly is interesting

at $230 budget for a 180-210 gyuto you have alot of options.for example, the gesshin kagero would be a better knife with that budget in my opinion.

If you like the carbonext and want a smaller gyuto there's nothing wrong with having two of the same in different sizes. I have two tkc's ( similar semi stainless steel ) one measuring in at 210 and the other at 270. One I use on the line every day and the other is one of my prep work horses respectively. If you are dead set on misono I would recommend the Swedish line where even with the relatively recent price hike they are still fantastic knives for the money.

Yup, ain't nuthin' wrong with the Swede. Given a choice of the Moly or Swedish Steel, if price didn't matter at all, I'd go wit the Swede. However, I just love the idea of a knife for about $100! And, even though people like to knock Misono, I openly think they're great.

Again, though, if you're spending $230, there are lots of great knives at JKI that I'd consider as well. :)

i have one 270 mm guyto and one petty 130 mm...My guyto is the first carbonext i ever try and i feel very good. But maybe i prefer try a real stainless. I think i can find a good knife with this budget, but i'm still a little uncertain between carbon or stainless

my question has always been if misono knives are the best knife with this price or the price is high because they are a famous brand, maybe i can find a knife with no famous brand, but better than misono ux10. i would buy a 20-30 years knife :) ... so recommended moly or Swedish line? what are the difference?

at $230 budget for a 180-210 gyuto you have alot of options.for example, the gesshin kagero would be a better knife with that budget in my opinion.

i'll never seen this knife, but i there isn't 180 mm or santoku

i have had misono ux10 both santoku and misono, the other lines are decent as well, good knives overall but i agree overpriced for what you get there are a lot of other options out there. But i would definitely go with a gyuto over the santoku, can do so much more plus at 180mm you cant do nearly as much with it.

the swedish is semi stainless, takes a better edge and is more expensive than the moly.

is it worth the extra money? i certainly think so! i ordered a misono hankotsu left handed version from mari over at korin and i'm waiting around for it to arrive.

specially if you're gonna buy a knife just every few decades, the extra bit of investment on the blade material is worth it.

but you'll have to care for it a bit more as it can rust, even stainless knives rust, but more so on semi stainless. they're not really carbon steel but around half and half more or less, which is why they're called semi stainless.

my question has always been if misono knives are the best knife with this price or the price is high because they are a famous brand, maybe i can find a knife with no famous brand, but better than misono ux10. i would buy a 20-30 years knife :) ... so recommended moly or Swedish line? what are the difference?
the moly is a relatively soft, forgiving stainless; the Swedish carbon an excellent, very pure but quite reactive carbon, by no means semi-stainless!

Yup, ain't nuthin' wrong with the Swede. Given a choice of the Moly or Swedish Steel, if price didn't matter at all, I'd go wit the Swede. However, I just love the idea of a knife for about $100! And, even though people like to knock Misono, I openly think they're great.

Again, though, if you're spending $230, there are lots of great knives at JKI that I'd consider as well. :)

which would you buy?

Just to add another option, a Carter SFGZ is around that if you don't mind the handle....

what is better vg 10 or sg2?
Have no personal experience with SG2. Find it hard to make general statements about any steel, have excellent experience with sharpening VG-10 treated by JCK Kagayaki or Hattori in their FD series. Have seen a lot of very poorly treated by Shun and some others.
In any case I wouldn't advice VG-10 to a novice sharpener.

Excellent knives, no doubt about it. If they weren't as successful as some might have expected, it is because at this price point knife nuts want a blade to match exactly their very personal preferences regarding profile, geometry, weight, width, handle, balance and so on.
If I could afford it I wouldn't hesitate.

Back