Quantcast
New Sharpening Station - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Sharpening Station

Drinky, is this you and your new table on the a-zon product page?

LOL. I might put that as my avatar now.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I would hope Dave would kick you off KKF for that!!!
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    I would hope Dave would kick you off KKF for that!!!
    -M
    Then I would have to go start another knife forum. right? That's how it is done. And only 'manly' chaps can participate.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It must be a sharpening station want week, or we might be long lost twins who think alike, but I also build a hand-sharpening station. I never liked my sharpening setup (over the kitchen sink with inadequate light), so in my shop I build a bench with a build-in water tank so I can sin comfortably over it while sharpening. Still need to build shelves over the bench to accommodate my stones. Will post pics tomorrow.
    I'd be curious to see this set up. It would be nice to have a workbench that also had easy access to sharpening equipment, so I'm interested in seeing different ways it can be done. I'm mostly curious about what type of water tank you put in and how you got that to work.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I'd be curious to see this set up. It would be nice to have a workbench that also had easy access to sharpening equipment, so I'm interested in seeing different ways it can be done. I'm mostly curious about what type of water tank you put in and how you got that to work.
    I will post pics as soon as I am able to transfer them from my camera. I am having some issues here.
    I recycled an old prints washing tank for my station.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I will post pics as soon as I am able to transfer them from my camera. I am having some issues here.
    I recycled an old prints washing tank for my station.
    So essentially some kind of tray with a drainage system is what would work here, right? That'd be a lot easier than picking up the tray to empty it out every time.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    So essentially some kind of tray with a drainage system is what would work here, right? That'd be a lot easier than picking up the tray to empty it out every time.
    For a built in tank, it would be good if you can drain it.

Still need to build shelves for the stones and to build a stone holder to go inside the tank. I think am going to recess the stone holder, so with a stone on, the height will be just slightly over the station surface.

A good light over your sharpening station is very important. I am using a photo-therapy adjustable height light with 8 fluorescent bulbs. There is enough light to see minute scratches for sharpening and polishing. And I like to sit while I sharpen. It's easier for me to hold an angle this way.

M

Thanks for the pics Marko. I might have to try and build something like that soon. It'd be nice to have places to sit and sharpen, but they're difficult to find since most desks aren't quite low enough, so I end up having my arms all bunched up.

+ Reply to Thread