Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: noob sharpening question

noob sharpening question

I just sharpened my knife (50/50) and it shaves one way but not the other. Is that a tell tale sign of improper technique ? I don't feel a burr.
    Thanks

By "one way" do you mean direction or side of the knife? Generally IME, it's a little easier to shave arm hair with the grain (elbow --> wrist) than against, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could shave with the grain but not against. The knife needs to be sharper to shave against. If you are talking about the right side of your knife versus the left, that's would most likely have to be your shaving technique.
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

Try slicing into a piece of paper, you won't always feel a burr wih yr fingers. If the knife drags one way or another, you may have a small burr remaining.

Also, you say 'one way not the other' it will be easier to shave against the grain of the hair, have you tried flipping the knife and shaving in the same direction?

The real test though is what is it like at cutting food? How will does the edge hold up? You can always buy more onions,but arm hair takes ages to grow back

thanks ! I actually tried to do it again and I think maybe one side was still wet from the stones. I was going against both times and I guess one side was a little wet so it slid. I was just about to video went both ways cut hair and I look funny with one arm shaved. Paper is good with a push, I guess it must have been the water and got me a little concerned. Thanks for the responses !

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Of course cutting product is the only true test, but other than that my litmus test is cutting paper with a push cut, no slicing forward or backward. I like to check like that up and down the knife, and I also like to do a full length slicing cut to check for any burrs or nicks anywhere on the blade.
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

Being softer and more fibrous i find Paper towels or TP more revealing than paper. It will leave fibres in any burr remaining making them stand out

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Being softer and more fibrous i find Paper towels or TP more revealing than paper. It will leave fibres in any burr remaining making them stand out
    Nice tip.

well didn't try the fibrous but found out, yeah, it was the burr holding me up. Obvious now that I think about it. I was doing the cork burr deal but found that if it isn't a hair burr or ahhhh wire burr it didn't take it off immediately. I guess the burr will be my nemesys for a bit while I find out how to get rid of it other then stropping motion on an old steel 'steel'. All is good right now cause I have the sharpest edge in the restaurant and I am to keep it that way.

i noticed this with bob kramer as well.

well didn't try the fibrous but found out, yeah, it was the burr holding me up. Obvious now that I think about it. I was doing the cork burr deal but found that if it isn't a hair burr or ahhhh wire burr it didn't take it off immediately. I guess the burr will be my nemesys for a bit while I find out how to get rid of it other then stropping motion on an old steel 'steel'. All is good right now cause I have the sharpest edge in the restaurant and I am to keep it that way.
    congratulations!

I've been using wet newspaper for deburring after I saw it suggested in another thread. Works really well
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono