Quantcast
Hey all, another newbie with a lot of questions. oh dang
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey all, another newbie with a lot of questions. oh dang

Hey all, another newbie with a lot of questions. oh dang

Hey all, I have been cooking a long time with stainless and small budgets, and I am very new to carbon steel. Those around me who know seem to think that explaining is beneath them. Though I have been using this forum as a reference, I still have a lot of questions. Some of them are probably going to be dumb, so please bear with me! I want to expand my knowledge as well as my collection, and educated purchases make the best keepers. After deciding on and not purchasing a half-dozen other knives, I recently bought a Yoshikane V2, and first priority is learning how to care for it properly. Some basic carbon-steel care tips would be greatly appreciated, as well as some feedback on this knife. Thank you all in advance!!

subscribed

Welcome to the forums!

Carbon steel care boils down to keeping the knife dry when it isn't in use. Keep two towels at your station, one damp and one dry, so you can clean and dry between tasks. If you are going to put it away for more than a day, oil the blade, either with camellia oil, if you have some, or with mineral oil, but not with a non-food safe oil.

Rick

Welcome to the forums! You're in the right place

I'd start with this video from Jon Broida, proprietor of Japanese Knife Imports, one of several vendors who participates in the forum.

Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Welcome to the forums!

Smile Thank you everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Welcome to the forums! You're in the right place

I'd start with this video from Jon Broida, proprietor of Japanese Knife Imports, one of several vendors who participates in the forum.

Thank you!!! this video was incredibly informative, especially with the inclusion of patina and rust erasers, which would have been the topics of my next round of questions. Thank you again!

I don't remember if Jon mentions it in the video, but Barkeeper's Friend will help get off light/new rust + patina. Just make sure to not be stingy with the water when using it.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Greetings!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Engorged Member
    WELCOME!
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."