Hey all, another newbie with a lot of questions. oh dang

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumjockey

Reaction score
Hey all, I have been cooking a long time with stainless and small budgets, and I am very new to carbon steel. Those around me who know seem to think that explaining is beneath them. Though I have been using this forum as a reference, I still have a lot of questions. Some of them are probably going to be dumb, so please bear with me! I want to expand my knowledge as well as my collection, and educated purchases make the best keepers. After deciding on and not purchasing a half-dozen other knives, I recently bought a Yoshikane V2, and first priority is learning how to care for it properly. Some basic carbon-steel care tips would be greatly appreciated, as well as some feedback on this knife. Thank you all in advance!!

Welcome to the forums!

Carbon steel care boils down to keeping the knife dry when it isn't in use. Keep two towels at your station, one damp and one dry, so you can clean and dry between tasks. If you are going to put it away for more than a day, oil the blade, either with camellia oil, if you have some, or with mineral oil, but not with a non-food safe oil.

Rick

Welcome to the forums! You're in the right place :)

I'd start with this video from Jon Broida, proprietor of Japanese Knife Imports, one of several vendors who participates in the forum.

[video=youtube;tza5pymb5yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tza5pymb5yg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Welcome to the forums! You're in the right place :)

I'd start with this video from Jon Broida, proprietor of Japanese Knife Imports, one of several vendors who participates in the forum.

[video=youtube;tza5pymb5yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tza5pymb5yg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Thank you!!! this video was incredibly informative, especially with the inclusion of patina and rust erasers, which would have been the topics of my next round of questions. Thank you again!

I don't remember if Jon mentions it in the video, but Barkeeper's Friend will help get off light/new rust + patina. Just make sure to not be stingy with the water when using it.

Next question: What is AEB-L? I see it on this forum a lot and have never encountered it before, and it seems a lot of you think highly of it. By the pics, it looks maybe semi-stainless (hope that little morsel of ignorance doesn't offend anyone TOO bad) and though I'm pretty sure there's a wealth of info on the subject somewhere in this forum, I can't seem to find it. Could just be a nasty case of forumfoolish... Please describe and maybe enlighten as to why people here seem to like it so much? Thank you!

Back