Quantcast
Copper Heat Diffuser/Defroster Plate...Any Opinions? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper Heat Diffuser/Defroster Plate...Any Opinions?

imho, steel is a better alternative to aluminum as it holds on to heat longer. takes a while to heat up though. just about as much as copper.

i kinda know this stuff coz i've played around with overclocking computers a few years back. still am a computer enthusiast. so i played around with heatsinks, watercooling, radiators and the like.

Which would make steel slower to defrost on, and less responsive to heat changes when cooking, so IMO not as useful.
    I use thick aluminium trays to defrost on, no experience with Copper

I bought a cheap copper diffuser which was so thin and thus flimsy. IT left a dark coating which peeled off. technically I suppose copper has the best conductivity as compared to other metals.

Next, I tried Bella Copper a small one. ( http://bellacopper.stores.yahoo.net/ ) thicker, didnt peel. Pleased with it. I suppose no point polishing it as it will darken with each usage.

Looking to buy a bigger one which will span across the width of a new range cooker as on each side there is a single burner with one in a center. Wld prefer 4 tops With this I hope to be able to put 2 small pots on either side of the range cooker. That is my purpose adn not granular heat control for sauces. I suppose even heat across the bottom of teh pot or pan should contribute to better results in cooking

have fun..

rgds
    d

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    This seems relevant/might be of interest: http://modernistcuisine.com/2012/11/...e-perfect-pan/
    Thanks for the video. That was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    ...I tried Bella Copper a small one. ( http://bellacopper.stores.yahoo.net/ ) thicker, didnt peel. Pleased with it. I suppose no point polishing it as it will darken with each usage.
    Cool d, you've actually tried it out. I was hoping someone had. I think I might try out a copper one and then look around for some place where I can buy some thick aluminum to size once I know what other size would be perfect for my stove. If anything, it will be interesting to see how they compare.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

my wife and I bought a 5 ply set from lagostina years ago, still going strong. http://www.lagostina.ca/html/product...26&idsubcat=32

uses SS, aluminum, copper, aluminum, then SS again. Seems to be quite even in terms of its heat, esp since the 5 ply construction runs all the way to the top of the pot/pan, so the heat transfer is even brought up to the top fairly well.

Not a cheap set mind you, but would allow for better overall heat transfer when you factor in the heat is brought up the layers as well, something a plate can't do. I do set the appeal tho of getting one of these for when I wanna use my crap thin frying pans, since they have lots of hot spots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5jvCNdr0Dw

a video touting the virtues of bella copper.

HV fun..

D

the more i think about it, the more i want a single one of these, I can see us using it a lot, esp for defrosting

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    imho, steel is a better alternative to aluminum as it holds on to heat longer. takes a while to heat up though. just about as much as copper.

i kinda know this stuff coz i've played around with overclocking computers a few years back. still am a computer enthusiast. so i played around with heatsinks, watercooling, radiators and the like.
    the situation on a stove is totally different. copper over a flame comes to full heat extremely quickly. thick aluminum does as well. steel is going to take longer than either, and won't be as even. i kinda know this stuff coz i have copper, aluminum and steel cookware, in various thicknesses, all used over flames.

Well, I will know soon enough how these things perform. I ordered the 10x10 inch bella copper heat diffuser and then had a 3/4 inch thick larger aluminum plate cut to size for my cooktop.

I also just got a pressure cooker for xmas, and I have been reading that heat diffusers are useful for them to better control heat.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson