Quantcast
Copper Heat Diffuser/Defroster Plate...Any Opinions?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper Heat Diffuser/Defroster Plate...Any Opinions?

Copper Heat Diffuser/Defroster Plate...Any Opinions?

Has anyone used one of these copper heat diffusers?

I've been caught a few times in the last month defrosting food quicker than I like to, and I have heard some good reports on using these copper sheets as defroster plates. Usually I will just upend a heavy duty pan and use that, but with the copper, it has better anti-microbial properties, it is a better conductor so I imagine it will defrost quicker, and I can also use it as a heat diffuser for more even heat when needed.

Just wondering.

k
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I have an aluminum version of this that came with my cooktop, about 8" across and about 1/4" thick...it does a pretty darn good job tempering the heat from the burners.

Hard to imagine the copper version would perform on on par with the price difference though.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I have an aluminum version of this that came with my cooktop, about 8" across and about 1/4" thick...it does a pretty darn good job tempering the heat from the burners.

Hard to imagine the copper version would perform on on par with the price difference though.
    copper is a much better thermal conductor than aluminum. the copper plates work as advertised. i don't personally have any, but i wouldn't mind having a big copper plate to turn my range into a French top. i use a copper sauté pan for defrosting, and it works great.

yep.

copper absorbs heat and cold longer but holds onto it longer than it absorbs it, aluminum will absorb heat and cold faster but release it just about as fast.

I don't pretend to understand the units involved in this chart:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...ity-d_429.html

It shows that copper (401) has about 2X the thermal conductivity of aluminum (205). Taking the average of a couple of different sites the cost is around 3X higher for copper.

The size of each of those gaps surprised me, I thought the thermal performance was closer and the cost differential was bigger. 50% higher cost for 2X performance is a pretty good deal, actually...2:1 payoff on the investment.

Thanks for making me check my assumptions. That's twice in as many days here on KKF
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Cool link. Thanks.

But back to your original question Drinky, anyone with personal experience ?

-AJ

Looks cool, love copper, but I just use my cast griddle. May not work as well, but it works.

I leave my cast griddle (2 burner) on my electric range all the time, and it seems to help when using my non cast pans and pots. Not to hijack, but would the copper diffusers work on electric as well?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    ...would the copper diffusers work on electric as well?
    The website says it works on electric stoves as well as glass and ceramic too.

And btw they claim that you can defrost two chicken breasts in 40 minutes on it. Though I can't say that a frozen chicken breast has ever been in my house, I do always have frozen duck breast in the freezer.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I've never used an aluminum or copper diffuser. I wasn't aware you could defrost food quickly with these methods. As for using it for cooking modernist cuisine did something on using them a while back, they were big fans of thick steel ones I think.

+ Reply to Thread