Quantcast
Copper Heat Diffuser/Defroster Plate...Any Opinions? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper Heat Diffuser/Defroster Plate...Any Opinions?

cool! Looking forward to a practical comparison.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Well, I will know soon enough how these things perform. I ordered the 10x10 inch bella copper heat diffuser and then had a 3/4 inch thick larger aluminum plate cut to size for my cooktop.

I also just got a pressure cooker for xmas, and I have been reading that heat diffusers are useful for them to better control heat.

k.
    Who did you get the aluminium plate from?

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Who did you get the aluminium plate from?
    I got it from onlinemetals.com. Here is the link. After picking thickness, you can choose a standard size or plug in a custom size at the bottom.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I got it from onlinemetals.com. Here is the link. After picking thickness, you can choose a standard size or plug in a custom size at the bottom.

k.
    I am finding the 12x24 sheet of copper there somewhat tempting. I would like to get something I could spread over two burners and this could fit that bill. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    I am finding the 12x24 sheet of copper there somewhat tempting. I would like to get something I could spread over two burners and this could fit that bill. Hmmm.
    Yeah, I was initially going to get that same two-burner thing (actually 12x20 to fit my stovetop), but I thought I would try the smaller ones out first. That copper gets expensive.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

That was the Hmmm part. It was hard enough getting the blessing for two knives for this year but I think it would be a good buy overall. Question too is how thick should a person go on these? I know the Benna is 1/8" but for something with some indirect heat, should it be a little thicker? Then the weight comes into play too.

That Chow/Modernist Cuisine video up thread said .5 inch to 1.5 inch for aluminum. Not sure how that translates to copper though. My feeling was that I would test the thinner copper out agains the aluminum and then get a two-burner diffuser in aluminum if it is better and (if not) save up for a two burner copper one.

k.

2.5mm is typically considered about perfect for copper cookware, but a diffusor and cookware have different missions... i'd probably try the 1/8 inch.

My aluminum version varies in thickness. in some places about 1/2" in others about 3/8" (eyeballing). been pleased with it...but only use it as a diffuser for stuff likely to scorch at the minimum flame my stove can produce....not for defrosting/etc.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

So if you were to use a diffuser plate, would preheating take longer? I'm curious to see what others think of thick aluminum vs. thin copper, since the video I sent out would definitely recommend thick over thin.

+ Reply to Thread