• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stones for sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schanop

Reaction score
stonesforsale.jpg

Hello,

I have some synthetic stones for sale. Lately I have not been using any of these much since I have gone natural for medium and higher grit polishing stones.

From left to right:

Kitayama 8k - 206 * 76 * 22, 918g -- 65AUD
Arashiyama 6k - 212 * 72 * 17, 534g -- 40AUD
Naniwa Snow White/Pure White 8k - 200 * 70 * 25, 815g practically almost brand new -- 90AUD
Naniwa Super Stone 3k - 210 * 70 * 14, 441g -- 40AUD
Metal Master 5k - 180 * 56 * 20, 411g practically like new -- 20AUD

Naniwa Snow White came in when I started using natural, and has been in storage most of the time. BDL (of FF, and KKF) praised Naniwa snow white and Kitayama pair for their exceptional edge quality. I have tested the combination and agreed with his praise. So, if you get them both together, I would do 145AUD for the pair.

Metal Master 5k behaves very much like Arashiyama (that's why I haven't really used it except preliminary testing), just in a smaller form factor.

Price is without postage, and buying more than one get some small discount. I have also
given their weight so that you can get estimate the shipping cost at http://auspost.com.au/products-and-services/postage-assessment-calculator.html where postage origin is NSW 2217. I don't mind shipping oversea, but postage cost is quite prohibitive for buyers.

Paypal or bank transfer.

Kitayama, Arashiyama, Naniwa snow white and SS3k are SPF

Maxim has recently (like a couple of hours ago) tempted me to upgrade my harder natural stones, infact, to replace the two up for sale here.

First is Ohira Kan Suita Lv 3.5 per http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/product-p/555.htm.

Ohira Kan Suita Very beautiful stone. And bit finer then other Ohiras that i have on website.
Also quite unique stone !
Final Finisher for knifes ! Very smooth feeling wile sharpening!
Nice Medium hardnes stone for all around use.
Can be used for beginners as well as experienced sharpener.
Sides of the stone have very nice can pattern too so it will go on deeper in to the stone.
Very cheap Collection stone !

Size: 207mm 80mm 35mm

ohirakansuita.jpg

Second is Kizuyama Suita lv 3 per http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Kizuyama-suita-lv-3-p/111.htm

Very unusual patterns ! Vary fast stone ! Kizuyama mine sims to produce some fast stones.
Very good stone for that price. You dont see Kizuyama stones that often.
Size: 200mm 70mm 35mm
kizuyamasuita.jpg

Both stone can yield very nice kasumi finish. Ohira is a little easier to use IMO, although it is slightly harder. It gives more matt finish where Kizuyama gives more mirror finish. Matt finish is easier to even out, and that's probably why I think Ohira is easier to use.

Both are virtually the same size as stated in Maxim's page as these are finishing stone.

Ohira Kan Suita, 1390g -- 250AUD
Kizuyama Suita, 1090g -- 200AUD

Looks like Ohira Kan Suita is SPF.

Due to Maxim's almost irresistible convincing to upgrade a harder stone, I am putting up this awesome Takasima Awasedo for sale to fund the upgrade.

It was originally from Jon Broida : http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...i-natural-stones/takashima-awasedo-large.html

The stone is a great introduction into Japanese Natural Stones. It is nice, even, soft, giving out good polish, good edge, works well with carbon and semi stainless (Yoshi SKD and heiji as I have tried). I have used the stone quite a bit and the base has come off. Currently it measures 210 x 71 x 18.5 635g, almost as full as it came at 20mm thick. With base it weighs 825g.

So I am thinking 170AUD, and you can opt for the base or not. Without base, stone can be packed within 1kg bracket.

takashima.jpg

It seems like you given me a lot of fault here sir haha :D

I still think the best stones for knives is soft ones !

I still keep the soft Hakka, so my soft natural stone base is still covered. It is a bit bigger and more user friendly this this Takashima.

Ohira Kan Suita is sold. Will post tomorrow.

It seems like you given me a lot of fault here sir haha :D

I still think the best stones for knives is soft ones !

Takashima is SPF.

And if you have all been wondering what Maxim has convinced me to upgrade:

936-2T.jpg

Maxim is very very bad man!!
:spiteful:

He talked me into one of those too at Christmas time.

All right, let's see how I can promote Kizuyama. It is a lv 3 (Maxim's rating) suita stone where he claims it is pretty fast. Mainly I have been using it after either Hakka or Takashima, so I will give a comparison to what it is doing compared with previous stone.

First image is a finish off Hakka, very easy to use and get a consistent colour going. Finesse-wise, you can still easily see scratch lines.

Second image is after spending some time with Kizuyama, a bit more difficult to get colour even, but lines from Hakka can be erased and blended. With enough time spending on the stone, you can get a smooth even kasumi finish with few faint visible lines.

Open images in new tab/window for full size.

kasumi4.jpg

kasumi5.jpg

Yes, very gentle curve along jigane, and a bit more curve along hanage part.

Pretty much when I just touch up an usuba after use and press just on the edge, kasumi finish won't be disturbed.

Received the takashima today, looking forward to having a play with it after work tonight.

Thanks schanop!

Very well packaged by the way, that stone could have fallen out of the aircraft on the way to my house and been just fine.

Gladded you are happy with Takashima, Dusty.

Chinese New Year Sale for Kizuyama, 188 AUD.

Another Chinese New Year sale. Got this stone from http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/86 when I was starting to get into natural stone. Takeshi (of metalmaster) claimed that this is a Shobudani lv4 of (translated) green plate stratum, but I don't know what green plate stratum is.

This stone has following dimension: 206 x 64 x 38-40 - 1105g . It is a little harder than Kizuyama, may be harder than Ohira Kan. Sharpening is quite smooth, and not difficult to raise mud with a wide single bevel knife. Kasumi finish it produces is quite nice, fine haze, finer than Kizuyama, not too dark, and semi mirrorish when viewed from angle. IMO, it is easier to even out the kasumi finish on this stone than on Kizuyama. It is not a bad stone to try a harder natural on the harder side. I have grown to like wider stone, and type 24 is coming my way, hopefully arriving tomorrow.

So let's say 88 AUD.

shobu.jpg

shobukasumi.jpg

JMac, clear your in box please. Can't send a reply PM.

Nope, what're available are:

Kizuyama 188AUD
Shobu 88AUD

And metal master little 5k synthethic stone.

hey schanop, can you check how much shipping to my country would cost on that shobu stone? preferably via fedex or dhl or something, cost i've been having troubles with the standard post office service what with packages getting "lost".

thanks.

DHL quotes me about 175 AUD for express, Fedex about 140 for economy, AusPost about 60 for EMS. Try entering the following parameters to amuse yourself:

package size 30 cm x 15 cm x 15 cm
package weight 1.5 - 2kg
from zip code 2217

thanks for the info. will definitely consider this. why is my post such a hassle?!!?!? =(

Nice stones! It's too bad shipping is so bloody expensive from Australia.

Let's try:

Kizuyama 180AUD
Shobu 80AUD

Before shipping and handling fee.

Back