Quantcast
Stones for sale - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stones for sale

Takashima is SPF.

And if you have all been wondering what Maxim has convinced me to upgrade:

Maxim is very very bad man!!

He talked me into one of those too at Christmas time.

All right, let's see how I can promote Kizuyama. It is a lv 3 (Maxim's rating) suita stone where he claims it is pretty fast. Mainly I have been using it after either Hakka or Takashima, so I will give a comparison to what it is doing compared with previous stone.

First image is a finish off Hakka, very easy to use and get a consistent colour going. Finesse-wise, you can still easily see scratch lines.

Second image is after spending some time with Kizuyama, a bit more difficult to get colour even, but lines from Hakka can be erased and blended. With enough time spending on the stone, you can get a smooth even kasumi finish with few faint visible lines.

Open images in new tab/window for full size.

Very nice. Is there any hamaguriba in that edge?

Yes, very gentle curve along jigane, and a bit more curve along hanage part.

Pretty much when I just touch up an usuba after use and press just on the edge, kasumi finish won't be disturbed.

Received the takashima today, looking forward to having a play with it after work tonight.

Thanks schanop!

Very well packaged by the way, that stone could have fallen out of the aircraft on the way to my house and been just fine.

Gladded you are happy with Takashima, Dusty.

Chinese New Year Sale for Kizuyama, 188 AUD.

Another Chinese New Year sale. Got this stone from http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/86 when I was starting to get into natural stone. Takeshi (of metalmaster) claimed that this is a Shobudani lv4 of (translated) green plate stratum, but I don't know what green plate stratum is.

This stone has following dimension: 206 x 64 x 38-40 - 1105g . It is a little harder than Kizuyama, may be harder than Ohira Kan. Sharpening is quite smooth, and not difficult to raise mud with a wide single bevel knife. Kasumi finish it produces is quite nice, fine haze, finer than Kizuyama, not too dark, and semi mirrorish when viewed from angle. IMO, it is easier to even out the kasumi finish on this stone than on Kizuyama. It is not a bad stone to try a harder natural on the harder side. I have grown to like wider stone, and type 24 is coming my way, hopefully arriving tomorrow.

So let's say 88 AUD.