Quantcast
KS v Shig - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KS v Shig

Masamoto KS are also all over the place in terms of grind and fit and finish. Every Shig I've seen has been close to perfect in those respects although those that I've seen have been a little chunky.

I really liked the 270mm KS I've used, but I love Shigs, I currently have 3 shig gyutos, I have been considering picking up a 240 KS from Rakuten
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

So the perceived quality differences have been duly noted. Both are highly prized for being sheer "cutters," yet each is on a different end of various spectrum. The KS profile is long, flat, and a minimal curve to meet a gradually tapered, thin and pointy tip. The grind is reported to be on the flatter side of things, and a thin spine.

The shig profile is still quite flat, yet has a far rounder tip, reported to be a bit thicker in geometry than the KS. Spines vary in thickness, but the grind of each is generally described as beautifully convex, with superb food release.

I'd like to explore the structural-aesthetic differences in each that lend reason to why people love to cut with them.
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

Does the Shigefusa not also have a slight hollow in the top half / two-thirds made with a sen?

i read on a different thread that shigefusas also have quality control issues?

I haven't used a Shig (seriously), but I do own and use a KS, so I'll put my thoughts down about them, or mine, anyways. Come to think of it, I did use one before, as well.

The KS is a simple, utilitarian gyuto, made of a very simple carbon steel, it takes an incredible edge with minimal effort. As Marko stated, its HT is straightforward and solid, but doesn't optimize the edge holding capabilities of the steel (not that white steel is known for this trait, but you get the idea). The handle on my KS is plain as can be and to make matters worse, is a standard D. However, with all of that being said, the lack of anything on this knife makes its positive attributes stick out that much more, and the negatives even become positives, once you become acquainted with your KS.

The obvious positive traits of a KS that jump out at you the first time you handle the knife are:

Profile - it's perfect

Grind - Flattish, but thin (on mine and the one I used before). I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'll take a properly done thin grind that has some sticktion over an overly convexed grind every single time. A "Slab Sided" knife with a nice thin grind on the bottom 2/3s will always release food at the shinogi line. (Not that this is how the KS is done, but I'm explaining my previous statement).

Edge length/Feel - I thought my 240 ran short, because it felt so nimble and the tip was right there, begging to be used. I measured it and was more tha surprised to discover that it's actually a 250.

Taper - nice, gradual, properly done.

Blade Height - to me, this is a plus, but to some it would be a negative. I like shorter gyutos, and I think my KS is 43mm.

Performance - I find the KS cuts and feels exactly how I like a gyuto to do so. It's light, has the ability to fall through food and I could use it all day if I had to.

Now, those pesky negatives that turn to positives.... The reason the boring simple nature of this knife ends up being a good thing is because, you never have to worry about dinging the handle, scratching the blade, or taking too long on the stones, getting frustrated and suddenly doubting your ability to take a simple steel and turning it into a crazy sharp tool. Oh, andit turns out D handles are comfy....

As for Shigs, they seem to be wonderful knives, but I don't like the look of the tip. To me, it's too round and clumsy looking. Of course, I've never read that that's the case, so I could be wrong. Based on looks alone I'd take the profile of a KS, and I can't help but think the tip on one is better than that of a Shig, in use.

Realistically, they're both highly-coveted knives, and I'm sure it's for a reason.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

interesting, especially the - becoming + !!!

Nimble is the word that comes to mind whenever I use my KS. It's lean and mean. But, I wouldn't call it thin and flat, as it's no laser....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    i read on a different thread that shigefusas also have quality control issues?
    You're right! They have quality issues which involve extremely high quality and consistency. I have seven of them, purchased from several different sources, and all of them are absolutely fantastic knives.

look, if anyone here has taken offense in what i've said, that wasn't my intention. i was merely repeating something i read on a different forum. i was only asking for feedback from people who have constructive things to say. i wanted feedback from people who have had these knives and not get a sarcastic comment like yours.

this is why i ended my statement earlier with a question mark and not a period.

i apologize if i've ruffled any feathers here but as stated earlier, it was not my intention.