Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: KS v Shig

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    I would hate life after a bag of pots sliced with M.

It suppose to cut and it does, but dont cut potatoes!!

Blade + handle or blade + love + handle, that is the question.
    OMG too true. I chunked a 2 kg bag of larger Yukon Golds for potato salad last night. I was ready to hack my own hand off they were sticking so bad!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    OMG too true. I chunked a 2 kg bag of larger Yukon Golds for potato salad last night. I was ready to hack my own hand off they were sticking so bad!
    hah, yeah, almost any of the simply ground monosteel knives like this are going to be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    This forum has given me a whole new level of respect for you guys. I am ready to start whining after 8 or 10 spuds for a pot of potato soup!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Not all handmade knives are equal, and when it comes to fit, finish, grind, attention to detail and consistency (it's the only maker who spends work on a tang) Shigefusa is in the top 3 in my opinion. They definitely take a pride in their work. I have always admired that.
    Out of curiosity, who are the other two?

Quote Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
    Now that's a good question. Though, it's also one I doubt Marko would answer publicly.
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

Mostly everything ive read there has a serious bias and you definitely made the right choice by looking for a second opinion.
    thanks. i prefer getting opinions from a lot of people.

I am curious with the discussion here. Generally are the KS and Shigefusa the two most commonly favourite gyuto knives from Japan? Are there popular rivals?

Quote Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
    I have my favorites, and Shigefusa is one of them.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I see your point and in some ways I agree with you. I studied these knives (and cut with both) extensively and admit that both have influenced my work, though in different ways.

To say that one knife is so much better than another, or that another is clearly worse than the first, would be wrong. Each has strong and weak points.

Notice that I don't take sides in this discussion.

However, personally, on F&F I am clearly closer to Shigefusa than Masamoto. I think one has to offer a complete product, and F&F is a part of the package. On the profile, I am closer to Masamoto.

M
    Im trying not to take sides either. I like both brands, have knives from both, and would consider both when getting a knife[just bought masamoto mioroshi], but not the chefs knife.
    Masamoto single bevel or a slicer.
    Shigefusa every style expecially single bevels.

All I meant, we talk "gyuto", versatile, all round knife.
    I dont know what shigefusa does worse than Masamoto, but I know that it does one thing better for sure, the potato