KS v Shig

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWells

Reaction score
These seem to be two of the favorite profiles/grinds out there, as evidenced by the number of clones and demand etc.

Post what you like about them, pics if ya got em. Curious to see what people have to say in relation to each.

KS : thin, light, easy to get sharp, sold it
ks2403.jpg

Shig: prettier, taller, feels more solid, food does not stick as much, keeper
shigefusa_gyuto_5.jpg

shig_gyutos_0.jpg

I am familiar with both knives quite well.

Shige pros - grind, hand finish, attention to details, polish - you can see and sense a hand made knife. Cons - kasumi is very reactive, thinly ground kasumi knives can be bent with your fingers, a gyuto profile doesn't lend itself well for tip work, micro-chipping is often occurrence.

Masamoto pros - decent grind, thin, great profile (particularly for tip work), monosteel (will spring back when bent). Cons - reactive, a little bit on a soft side (~60RC), grind at the edge could be a little bit thinner. Thinning the Masamoto above the edge, and hand refinishing it will improve the performance and look.

Edge retention is better on Shigefusa, probably because of the additional hardness.

i love it that 60HRC counts as on the softer side. :)

When it comes to edge retention in some steels, two or three points (RC) make a big difference. White steel doesn't have alloys that improve wear resistance, so to get a little more juice of out the steel, it needs to be harder.

M

When it comes to edge retention in some steels, two or three points (RC) make a big difference. White steel doesn't have alloys that improve wear resistance, so to get a little more juice of out the steel, it needs to be harder.

M

i know. it's still funny, in a very good way. :)

I've been thinking about this a little. Is the shig tip design meant for cutting tuna loins into blocks? The curve indicates meat cutting to me. The profile resembles many mioroshi. Glad to see that you have joined in the conversation Marko.

gyutos are based on French chef knives. French chef knives tend to cut a lot of meat.

Indeed, cow-swords. I was thinking of what went into the specific design from the Japanese perspective. Tuna as Cows of the Sea.

I've not seen this done from start to finish, but are the two knives used in Japan to break down Wagyu into individual cuts a Honkatsu for hanging cuts, and then various gyutos for everything else?

From what I observed at Tsukiji last month, gyutos are generally not used to cut loins into blocks. I'll have to look to see if I got any pictures of any actual knives, but I recall seeing mostly yanagi used for cutting tuna into smaller blocks.

Masamoto KS are also all over the place in terms of grind and fit and finish. Every Shig I've seen has been close to perfect in those respects although those that I've seen have been a little chunky.

So the perceived quality differences have been duly noted. Both are highly prized for being sheer "cutters," yet each is on a different end of various spectrum. The KS profile is long, flat, and a minimal curve to meet a gradually tapered, thin and pointy tip. The grind is reported to be on the flatter side of things, and a thin spine.

The shig profile is still quite flat, yet has a far rounder tip, reported to be a bit thicker in geometry than the KS. Spines vary in thickness, but the grind of each is generally described as beautifully convex, with superb food release.

I'd like to explore the structural-aesthetic differences in each that lend reason to why people love to cut with them.

Does the Shigefusa not also have a slight hollow in the top half / two-thirds made with a sen?

i read on a different thread that shigefusas also have quality control issues?

I haven't used a Shig (seriously), but I do own and use a KS, so I'll put my thoughts down about them, or mine, anyways. Come to think of it, I did use one before, as well.

The KS is a simple, utilitarian gyuto, made of a very simple carbon steel, it takes an incredible edge with minimal effort. As Marko stated, its HT is straightforward and solid, but doesn't optimize the edge holding capabilities of the steel (not that white steel is known for this trait, but you get the idea). The handle on my KS is plain as can be and to make matters worse, is a standard D. However, with all of that being said, the lack of anything on this knife makes its positive attributes stick out that much more, and the negatives even become positives, once you become acquainted with your KS.

The obvious positive traits of a KS that jump out at you the first time you handle the knife are:

Profile - it's perfect

Grind - Flattish, but thin (on mine and the one I used before). I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'll take a properly done thin grind that has some sticktion over an overly convexed grind every single time. A "Slab Sided" knife with a nice thin grind on the bottom 2/3s will always release food at the shinogi line. (Not that this is how the KS is done, but I'm explaining my previous statement).

Edge length/Feel - I thought my 240 ran short, because it felt so nimble and the tip was right there, begging to be used. I measured it and was more tha surprised to discover that it's actually a 250.

Taper - nice, gradual, properly done.

Blade Height - to me, this is a plus, but to some it would be a negative. I like shorter gyutos, and I think my KS is 43mm.

Performance - I find the KS cuts and feels exactly how I like a gyuto to do so. It's light, has the ability to fall through food and I could use it all day if I had to.

Now, those pesky negatives that turn to positives.... The reason the boring simple nature of this knife ends up being a good thing is because, you never have to worry about dinging the handle, scratching the blade, or taking too long on the stones, getting frustrated and suddenly doubting your ability to take a simple steel and turning it into a crazy sharp tool. Oh, andit turns out D handles are comfy....

As for Shigs, they seem to be wonderful knives, but I don't like the look of the tip. To me, it's too round and clumsy looking. Of course, I've never read that that's the case, so I could be wrong. Based on looks alone I'd take the profile of a KS, and I can't help but think the tip on one is better than that of a Shig, in use.

Realistically, they're both highly-coveted knives, and I'm sure it's for a reason.

Nimble is the word that comes to mind whenever I use my KS. It's lean and mean. But, I wouldn't call it thin and flat, as it's no laser....

You're right! They have quality issues which involve extremely high quality and consistency. I have seven of them, purchased from several different sources, and all of them are absolutely fantastic knives.

look, if anyone here has taken offense in what i've said, that wasn't my intention. i was merely repeating something i read on a different forum. i was only asking for feedback from people who have constructive things to say. i wanted feedback from people who have had these knives and not get a sarcastic comment like yours.

this is why i ended my statement earlier with a question mark and not a period.

i apologize if i've ruffled any feathers here but as stated earlier, it was not my intention.

I don't think rriley's comment was sarcastic. He basically answered that he has 7 examples of great quality quantrol from shigefusa, pretty constructive in my opinion. I have seen 7 myself as well, 3 gyuto, 3 yanagiba and a nakiri, all were the best fit and finish j knives I have seen, on par with custom made knife fit and finish/polish. I have seen 2 masamoto KS, both were differerent lengths for same size knife, seems they are not as consistent, still wouldn't mind picking one up one day.

I think the issue spoken of was broken tips through transit, no?
Maybe more a service over a quality issue....

I think the issue spoken of was broken tips through transit, no?
Maybe more a service over a quality issue....

yep i think that was the thread i was talking about on that other forum

I have used both,

Ks is a fun knife with great profile, steel is not ideal considering retention.

Shig is a true cutter and workhorse. I loved that knife overall. It felt like an extension of my arm. If I were to get another gyuto it would be shig. Edge retention is good and edge taking is great.

Almost none, as the knife is finished and sharpened by hand, and thus, more control, versus when done finishing on a machine.

One thing that you might find even on a Shige, is a a tiny dip at the edge (Tihn, that might have been what clunked, depending where it was). This kind of dips occur when a knife is thinned at the edge to a zero or close. Some people might call it overgrind, but it isn't - it is just at the edge and can be corrected with a tip-to-heel pass or two on a diamond plate (it thickens the edge slightly) and then you can either thin the edge or just cut a new bevel. Overgrind is done by a grinder of sorts, and it's a hollow that extends up the edge, and would require a lot more metal to be removed to correct it.

The two Masamoto that I thinned and refinished, none had grind issues, but both were about .016 at the edge (while Shige is about .005), so thinning both unleashed some potential in cutting. Also, refinishing Masamoto (from vertical to horizontal scratches), and putting a nice handle, changed the look of that knife from an average to a pretty nice.

Also, the earlier Shiges were much thicker on the spine and above! the edge (you can have any knife to be at zero at the edge, but to measure thickness, you need to take a measurement at 10mm above the edge). It is relatively recently that Shigefusa started grinding thinner, not the least because of this forum.

Both are different knives and should appeal to people's cutting styles. Performance wise, a thin Shigefusa gyuto will separate food better, but you will have to raise the handle more if you do a lot of tip work and be careful not to bend it, particularly with a sujihiki. Bending is not a problem with Masamoto.

M

I think in that level of handmade knife there will always be imperfections or small mistakes, but overall i think they are very consistent knives

+1

Not all handmade knives are equal, and when it comes to fit, finish, grind, attention to detail and consistency (it's the only maker who spends work on a tang) Shigefusa is in the top 3 in my opinion. They definitely take a pride in their work. I have always admired that.

Why are we comparing soulful primadonna for 600 with soulless killer for 300??

Back