A couple of firsts! Calling all razor nuts!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
The first first, is my first hollow grind. (By the way, I ain't got a round wheel)

Second first, is my first razor! :headbang:

So, this is ground from 1/4" forged 52100 @ HRC 62, bright finish (not a perfect mirror) I'm net even sure how to describe this thing...

Here goes... 1/4 hollow, slight smile (Maybe a grin?? lol!) Its between 6/8 and 7/8

I used a 1/8" hardened folder pivot instead of traditional pins.

The scales are presentation Koa, and the wedge is walrus ivory. Holding the tail together, is a mosaic pin...

The curved tail is left wide, not sure if its staying this way, but is seems to give great control, and all but stops pivoting/rolling against the face.

Please, let me know your thoughts on this one!

**EDIT** I forgot, there are .010" Nylatron washers between the scales and tang.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

I will try to get white light pics tomorrow...

Damn, that's nice. This was a fun project, wasn't it? :D You're a freak!!!

Looks pretty nice and rom the sound if it, it shaves well, too! :)

Nice Pierre! I'd go so far as to say that's still a wedge, tho. Nothing wrong with that.

very good looking razor pierre! i would love seeing more of them!

Beautiful looking razor! Your work definitely shows that you are a talented craftsman. Thank you for sharing it with us. One (the most?) important question, though... How does it shave?

Beautiful looking razor! Your work definitely shows that you are a talented craftsman. Thank you for sharing it with us. One (the most?) important question, though... How does it shave?

No idea! I'm afraid to sharpen it! lol!

Thanks guys, glad you like it, now what should I work on changing for the next one?

The tail has me scratching my head... Do I thin and taper it? It seem to aid in stability being wide. Is it a deal breaker?

I think the tail looks good. I think that is all personal preference. Most custom makers will ask how you want it. Check out Robert Williams page or Alex jaCques web pages. Jacques does some "new school" designs (some with huge long tails) where Williams gives more old school options

PASSAROUND OPPERTUNITY

PM me if interested. I will take a few names, pass around WILL be limited. Each person will hold it for 2 weeks. YOU are responsible for sterilization BEFORE you use it! It would be a good idea to re-sterilize it before sending it to the next person.

Shipping to you is paid. So shipping to the next person with insurance is your responsibility. I am not an experienced razor sharpener, so yes of course you can sharpen it.

I expect feedback from EACH person signing up, so if you can't do that wee favor for me, let someone else sign up.

I will post a "sign up full" statement here.

Thanks in advance!

Great idea, Bear! I have a list in mind, already. I hope those guys sign up. I'd love to, but I'd be biased on this one, I think....

That is cool of you Pierre, I have only been doing the straight razor bit for a few months so I will defer to the vets, but I am anxious to see some reviews.

if you want someone thats completely new to straight razor world id be happy to try it out if you wanna get into shipping to Canada, if not I completely understand

I really like the looks of this. Would be interested in the passaround. I can sharpen a straight much nicer that a knife. Beautiful razor. PM sent.

Would love to try it Pierre if u let me. Im Swedish thou, hope thats ok :) Pm sent.

Impressive work as always Pierre. I have thought about going to a straight and just recently started using a safety razor as my first step in that direction, so I will pass on the passaround, but just had to let you know that is a beauty.

I'm interested in getting in on this. PM sent. Thanks Pierre!

If this is coming down to the states I'd love to join in on the pass around. I've have somewhere in the range of 60-70 straights to compare to including a few customs. Only complication is I'm living on a military base so shipping will be delayed a day or two, if I'm in let me know and I'll pm my info.

For now, this pass around will stay within North America. When it comes home, and there is still interest, i will entertain sending it (or another) across the pond.

Back