Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i hate f'in data-how much do i need?

I just upgraded to the latest Iphone and the kid who set me up with the new phone almost had a heart attack when I mentioned I considered giving up my unlimited plan because I use so little of it, I would get away cheaper with another plan... Not sure how Verizon does it, but with AT&T you can choose a low plan and then pay another $15/GB if you get over tyour limit, and you can change the data amount any time without affecting the contract - probably only upward changes, I assume, haven't asked. That said, Unless you use the phone as a radio or movie player a lot, 2GB should be fine. I use mine a lot for emails, quick web checks etc. and usually max out at 500MB/month.

Stefan

I think walmart is going to start offering a pre-paid iphone....might be worth investigating.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I got the app called "3g watchdog" and it monitors it. You punch in your plan and when each month rolls over and it can alarm you are you get close to your limits, even stopping you if you enable that option. I haven't ever got close since I have a GB on mine and I wifi a lot, but its a good back up, plus its a free app

I upgraded to an iPhone about a year ago, and am sorry I waited as long I did. I use it much more than I thought I would. I think the best thing about the iPhone is iMessage, which I guarantee you will use with your wife all the time. I have the least expensive data plan Verizon offers, and never go over my allotment (not sure I even come close). I rarely just browse the web on my phone (screen is too small to not annoy me a little), but do it on occasion if I'm trapped somewhere and have a few minutes to kill. I think I spend $20-25 a month more than I did before I had the iPhone, and to me it's clearly worth it. Do I need to see the weather forecast and sports scores all the time? No. Do I like that I can? Yes. I have uploaded more pictures to this forum because I have an iPhone, because it's just so easy to do.

I stream music a lot through Google Music, YouTube videos, email constantly for work and home, facebook and instagram too. Also I use my phone as a mobile hot spot for tethering my tablet.

That's like worst case scenario. Usually between 2-6 gb sometimes 8.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

i use the google music app to stream whatever i want to listen to from my itunes account on my iphone(ive got well over 100 gigs in my itunes). its a cool app to have, especially if you have an 8 or 16 gig iphone. but the app uses up alot of data quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Also I use my phone as a mobile hot spot for tethering my tablet.
    Good point Rick. Forgot about tethering (not an option on my carrier)...that can be a HUGE source of data usage, and I think it's kinda hard to see/gauge until you get the first bill.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

You guys make me feel like such a luddite. I have a little dinosaur of a phone & only use it to make calls & send texts. The price is about to go up--it'll be $7/month. Outrageous! It's been $5/mo for years!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller