Adding tooth

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmadams13

Banned
Reaction score
Question as it sounds. Best way to take a knife that has been over sharpened (well, not over sharp, but over refined) that is sharp as sh!t, but still fights with tomato skins and other items a little tooth is needed. Just run over a 1200 or 2k stone a little?

Just looking for some ideas to try?

Joe

Yup, strop on 1k or so. It works!

Doesn't have to be as coarse as 1k. It's up to you how toothy you want it. You can also get different effects with a different abrasive. Diamond, for example tends to give toothier edges for the same grit rating.

Switch to a serrated for toms. I don't care how razor sharp a knife is, but after a few tomatoes it begins to struggle and piss you off.

Some go up to finer grits then drop back down a notch fora few swipes then strop. Depends on the knife shape for me though. Gyuto gets 5k then strop on diamond. Plenty toothy yet refined.

Switch to a serrated for toms. I don't care how razor sharp a knife is, but after a few tomatoes it begins to struggle and piss you off.

Depends on the cut you are making. I like heel to tip slicing. Works like butter.

never had this problem.... only if you have a dull knife or too refined of a knife. I slice tomatoes almost everyday with no problems. The ITK is nice but i dont always have it out. If you have a decent edge it should be no problem.

never had this problem.... only if you have a dull knife or too refined of a knife. I slice tomatoes almost everyday with no problems. The ITK is nice but i dont always have it out. If you have a decent edge it should be no problem.

+1

i strop on a dry 1k when i over sharpen on higher grits. just a few swipes and you're good.

Latest posts

Back