New Tanaka, first blood.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Fed

Reaction score
My first experience filleting anything with a deba, a banded rudder fish, went far better than expected.

SSPX0145.jpg

The head came off easily with no damage at all to the edge. awesome.

SSPX0147.jpg

filleting was much less difficult than I could have ever imagined. after the first guiding cut, it nearly felt as if the knife guided itself through the next.
the fillets came off cleanly with very clean looking cut surfaces.
I had just recieved this knife after 5 weeks of waiting yesturday and feel fortunate to have a father that is a retired painter, who fishes commercially locally on a near daily basis. There is no shortage of off the boat fresh fish to fillet and eat.

Awesome. Removing fish fillets from the bones and lopping off heads with a deba is one of the most satisfying things. Like it was meant to be there or something. :)

You gotta enjoy the little things...

Nice ! No cooking of the fish photo :biggrin:

Nice ! No cooking of the fish photo :biggrin:

If I end up doing somthing nice with it I will be sure to photograph it :smile1: all of the other photos I've posted have been specials I've run at work. This one is for home consumption.

I am jealous of your steady stream of fresh fish ;) Glad to see you're having fun with the new deba!

I noticed that this is a left handed Deba but is photographed in a right handed manner. are you left handed or is there some special reason you prefer a left handed knife?

unfourtunately i am left handed. It is a bonus however because the single bevel knives are much less likely to be picked up by a nuckle head and abused at work.

Or maybe more likely because a real knuckle head would have no idea.

my tanaka's first blood (ginsanko 270 gyuto), last night at end of the night i wanted to clean some chicken breasts for the next day and i keep my knife roll on bottom shelf of a prep table. so i was knelt down on the floor took out my ceramic steel and started to hone. on the return stroke to get heel over the steel i missed somehow and the pointy end stabbed directly into the side of my knee (as if i did it intentionally). not big but DEEP wound. lesson learned, do not perform maintenance on sharp objects while exhausted (especially crouched down)... i dont think pictures would be necessary in this event. :D

Back