• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Haslinger, Azuma Minamoto, TC Blades.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Relist of the Haslinger plus the two others. Lately these have become drawer queens, and not because I don't like using them, just that I rarely use gyutos at all anymore. So I figure I'd keep the Sugimoto gyuto seeing as it's not really worth enough to warrant selling and use that one the odd occasion I'm not using Chuka's and hawk the rest.

Here's the pics:
DSC_0071_zps4e85b66a.jpg
DSC_0070_zps279e2517.jpg
DSC_0069_zps3d6c226c.jpg

Here's the specs,
Haslinger, 10", 222g, cpm s35vn, spalted maple handle (I think). No saya with this one unfortunately. Seen limited use, still in great condition. Pros: super thin tip, great steel, easy to sharpen, good edge retention. Cons: Steel always feels a little toothy compared to most carbon steels or G3 for example, profile is a love/hate thing, food release is pretty bad with starchy foods.
Paid $480, asking $300

Azuma: 24cm heel to tip (about another 2.5cm on the machi), 160g, unknown stainless, supposedly 64hrc, octagonal ho wood handle and saya, 40mm height at heel so it's kinda like a gyuto/suji. Very flat profile and ground completely asymmetric a la A style, sugimoto or TC for that matter. Easy to sharpen but an absolute beast to thin. Probably had this for about a year now, so it's seen a decent amount of use but has been on rotation with 3 or 4 other knives to plently life in it yet. Saya is a little stained from work and the handle hasn't been mounted particularly well (it's in line with the blade, but slightly twisted if that makes sense). Good for proteins, soft fruit and vege or thin slices. It's a little thick behind the edge and due to the lack of height it's hard to use much pressure so not ideal for hard items, cheese for example.
Here's the original page (note mine is with a blade ferrule, not white): http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/azuma-minamoto-no-masahisa-wagyuto-240mm-yasugi240.html
Paid about $250 (inc saya) asking $200

TC Blades: 24cm heel to tip, 2cm on the machi, 282g, 01 steel, upgraded octagonal handle with some inlays, not sure of the wood, maybe cocobolo. Originally kurouchi finish, but I have since scrubbed it off. Sharpened about 90/10, flat back with large bevel on the right side so definitely not for lefties. I reckon the profile is somewhat similar to a Sab. pretty solid knife, wouldn't be my first choice for finely dicing onions, but it'll handle most jobs with easy. Great line knife for slicing meats.
Full disclosure on this knife, it is actually a replacement for one I bought in March from **** that turned out to be poorly heat treated. Tslil made this one for me no questions asked and was a true gentleman in resolving the issue. I actually feel guilty selling it off, but at the end of the day, I rarely use it as I don't find gyutos particularly comfortable to use anymore and it's such a waste to leave it sitting in the drawer.
Spent about $450 all up after shipping back and forth between the states and Israel, asking $300

All prices are USD and firm, free shipping within Australia, add another $30 for overseas. Paypal only please.

Also, I'm keen to move these quickly and in the interest of cleaning out some space, I'll chuck in one of my Sabatiers of the buyers choice; k sab boning knife, 8in lion sab slicer, 12in antique k sab massif flexable slicer, 10in k sab massif stainless chefs.

Open to trades on cleavers, though I'll consider everything.

i actually have one but, i'm working on a pay it forward project and this would fit the bill. lets hope my trading skills are good enough.lol might etch this black if I get it.

Bump

$280 for the Haslinger
$180 for the Azuma

12'' sab slicer is gone, but the rest are still here.

Cheers,
Josh

Bump

$250 for the Haslinger
$150 for the Azuma.

If this doesn't garnish any interest, I give up :surrendar:

These Haslingers are $550 now at EE....

I'm bumping this for you, because its a smoking deal!!!

Anyone????

Haha, cheers NoChop. Much appreciated :biggrin:

I registered just to respond to this thread - I'll take the Haslinger if you still have it. Don't seem to be able to PM (because I'm a newbie?) or I'd have contacted you directly.

I registered just to respond to this thread - I'll take the Haslinger if you still have it. Don't seem to be able to PM (because I'm a newbie?) or I'd have contacted you directly.

You just need a few more posts...

Welcome to the forum.

Hey Alfista,
The Haslinger is still available. Unfortunately I can't PM you either, but shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can proceed further.

Cheers,
Josh

Bump for the Haslinger ($250) and the Azuma ($150), also:

Azuma 30cm blue 1 Yanagiba, limited use in a professional kitchen, sharpened a handful of times. Handle and saya are a little stained; happy to give them a quick sanding if requested. Paid $395 from Aframes, asking $280
DSC_0129_zps476173fa.jpg
DSC_0131_zps6d17ea99.jpg
DSC_0132_zps931a2b92.jpg

Kaneshige 24cm ai deba mirror polish Gin3. Bought about 2 or 3 months ago from CKTG, only used at home and probably only cleaned about 6-7 fish with it, sharpened maybe 2 or 3 times. Well finished, smooth choil and spine, even ura. Very easy to raise a burr on though it touch tougher to remove than most carbons. Finish on the blade road is a little scuffed (area between shinogi and edge, where the cladding ends, not sure what to call it) but doesn't effect performance. Small gap (<1mm) between the handle and ferrule, check picture. Paid $300, asking $250.
DSC_0123_zps0688836c.jpg
DSC_0124_zpsa197cd91.jpg
DSC_0125_zps51edcb36.jpg

Masamoto KS 27cm gyuto. About 2 months old I think, bought from Rakuten used at work although it's never been my go to knife so it's had limited use. I knocked the ho wood handle off and stuck on a burnt chestnut handle which I think feels a lot nicer, roughly sealed so could do with being filled a bit better. Alternatively, the glue isn't particularly strong so the handle should be easy to remove. It's a nice knife, but it just never felt natural to me, probably too long and flat for my liking. No saya with this one. Asking $250
DSC_0126_zps1e96b81c.jpg
DSC_0127_zps0c970100.jpg
DSC_0128_zpsbce4ecaf.jpg

As before, all prices in USD, free shipping in Australia, add $30 for international. Paypal only please.

Cheers,
Josh

Masamoto KS sold, rest still available.

Cheers,
Josh

Keen to move these because my knife drawer is almost over flowing and they're not doing any good gathering dust, so I'll drop the price for a limited time.
Haslinger $200
Azuma Yanagi $200
Azuma Gyuto $130
Kaneshige Deba $200

Free postage in Australia, add $30 for international shipping.

Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
sorry to go off topic but, sachem - do you mean acid patina and leave the black stuff on instead of washing it off?

sorry just saw this. Vinegar etch it dark black and wipe blade repeatedly with wet cloth until no more oxides come off the blade. It should be a fairly uniform grey black.

Cheers Pete.

Azuma gyuto and yanagi are sold, Kaneshige deba and Haslinger still available.

Cheers,
Josh

Latest posts

Back