Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: rookie version re-handle walkthrough

Good tutorial-- Those clamps are probably used by most here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I say if it's old and worn down out of love and use, leave it. If it's old and gunky looking like that, refurb!
    Thats the way I'm leaning, I need to find someone with a wood lathe and some skills, to replicate the handle on the steel. Probably use a nice burl, and matching scales for the knife.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Pierre, I realize you are on some form of pain medication, perhaps you have forgotten you are a knife maker and kick A handle maker.

Or perhaps there was some sarcasm that I missed.

Cheers for this, was looking for pics of an ITK without it's clothes on last week but couldn't find them. Am half way through my own rehandle at the mo. Did you use the same thickness scales as the originals?
    Cheers,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Cheers for this, was looking for pics of an ITK without it's clothes on last week but couldn't find them. Am half way through my own rehandle at the mo. Did you use the same thickness scales as the originals?
    Cheers,
    Tom
    I usually use thicker scales because I like to shape it to my hand and I like to add palm swell. The very front and butt of the scales are probably the same thickness as the original scales, just a little more in the middle.

Nice write-up indeed!

The stabilizer seems to do a pretty good job of clogging the sandpaper. Just for my own curiosity, how much can you get out of a disk and a belt?

Quote Originally Posted by UCChemE05 View Post
    Nice write-up indeed!

The stabilizer seems to do a pretty good job of clogging the sandpaper. Just for my own curiosity, how much can you get out of a disk and a belt?
    I get pretty good longevity out of my belts. Some woods clog more than others and poorly stabilized wood can clog them too. If you take it slow and don't heat it up, they last longer. Generally I get 6 handles out of one belt.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Pierre, I realize you are on some form of pain medication, perhaps you have forgotten you are a knife maker and kick A handle maker.

Or perhaps there was some sarcasm that I missed.
    No sarcasm at all my friend. Handles on knives are one thing, but I have yet to work in a round medium. I have a couple of custom shaving brushes to build, if they go well, then maybe I'll tackel the steel and butcher knife. The knife is easy, the steel, has sentimental value. If I do a restoration, I need it to be an improvement. Both pieces were my dads, circa pre 1950.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Are you clamping the knife down in the drill press in any way?

Great procedure by the way. This isn't how an amateur does it, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Are you clamping the knife down in the drill press in any way?

Great procedure by the way. This isn't how an amateur does it, by the way.
    For oily woods I clamp the knife down with a quick clamp, for light woods I usually just use my hands, I have never had one bind up, but I face the spine of the knife in the direction of the drill rotation just in case.