Looking at Gesshins - Feedback Please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDispossessed

Reaction score
i work in a pretty bust kitchen and have a limited budget so was looking for a nice upgrade from the Suisin western gyuto i've been rocking the last year. i want to go carbon, i'm fine with the maintenance, and want a high performing knife with relative ease of sharpening and good edge retention but don't need anything too high end right now, as i feel i still have some ways to go in sharpening skills. i have been looking at the white #2 wa-gyutos from Gesshin Ginga. does anyone have experience with these?

A number of folks on the forum have those and the proprietor (Jon Broida) is very active here as well. In addition to whatever 1st hand accounts other folks give you, I highly recommend that you give Jon a call and talk with him about your budget, purpose, experience, etc. He will make sure you make an appropriate choice for your needs and budget (BTW, I have personally experience him talking me into spending less than I had budgeted :doublethumbsup:).

Give me a few days and I'll have some feedback. :) I just bought a 240 Gesshin White No. 2 Wa Gyuto this past weekend. I'll be using it tomorrow for the first time.

I'm sure others will chime in though.

This thread should be moved to Japanese Knife Imports sub forum possibly.

I have a Gesshin Ginga white2 gyuto, quite happy with it. Edge retention is ok, very easy to sharpen, thin, light, great fit and finish. It is my least reactive white 2 blade, due to the heat treat I believe, Jon?

I'd keep an eye on the B/S/T subForum. There seem to be lots of really good knives for sale there lately. You can benefit from someone doing a pretty good job sharpening it for you too!

I recently bought my first thing from Jon mostly because I'm not in love with the website it's a bit hard to view for me BUT all I bought was a sink bridge and he treated me like I spent a million dollars. Very prompt, immediate shipping and another follow up personal email. Some of the best service I've had yet and can't wait to blow my savings with japanese knife imports. Definitely let him know what your looking for and I'm sure he will help. Sorry for the rant.

I recently bought my first thing from Jon mostly because I'm not in love with the website it's a bit hard to view for me BUT all I bought was a sink bridge and he treated me like I spent a million dollars. Very prompt, immediate shipping and another follow up personal email. Some of the best service I've had yet and can't wait to blow my savings with japanese knife imports. Definitely let him know what your looking for and I'm sure he will help. Sorry for the rant.

Seems to be a common experience...I have nothing but the best to say about all dealings (not just purchases but advice as well) with Jon.

awwww....i thought this was a review of one of the gesshin lines...bummer. thedispossessed, you should just use the search option at the top of the page and look for posts discussing the gesshin ginga line. there should be a decent amount of writing to be found.

I had a good expiereance for once and thought I should share. Next time I'll keep it to myself

I had a good expiereance for once and thought I should share. Next time I'll keep it to myself

I think he was just agreeing with you and saying he has had similar experiences with JKI.... I'm sure the person who posted this thread appreciates your experience. No one was giving you a hard time.

-Chuck

sorry, this is actually the first online forum i've ever bothered with! learning here

Back