Quantcast
Lance Armstong on Opra
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lance Armstong on Opra

Lance Armstong on Opra

I know some could care less,back in my younger yrs. was a decent climber,always liked the sport.Have all 7 Tour wins by Lance on DVD.I would not miss this thur. on Opra channel.

He always denied EPO etc. which dogged him thru out his 7 yr. run.He is not perfect(who is?)In cycling tho he is among the greats, riders like Jacques Anquetil,Eddy Merckx,who could smash riders in both the mountains & Time trails.

He dumped his wife for celeb.,would not even talk to his real Father who split on the family when Lance was very young.

The real question in my mind is whether or not he was doping before he got cancer. EPO would have been a fairly common drug for someone who was going through long bouts of chemo or radiation. That also raises the question of whether he would have been able to recover or more relevant, get back into cycling without these prescribed drugs that are illegal even under those circumstances in sport. I think that he was too young to have been "blood doping" with the transfusions of his own blood back when it was not illegal in the 80's. Remember that pretty much the entire 1984 US Olympic track cycling team admitted with no guilt whatsoever that they had stored their own blood and transfused it later for events. If he is admitting to transfusion "doping" then he may have dong this all along because it is my understanding that EPO and drugs like that which boost your own red cell production pretty much replaced transfusions in the cheater's little bag around 2000.

I'm a cycler, but don't really follow the sport. I also don't understand all the anxiety over PED...they should be legalized and monitored. Maybe have separate leagues for PED and "natural"...or just slightly adjusted rules depending on the nature of the sport in question. We won't stop it from happening, so let's make sure people have good information and proper care.

What I find a great deal more concerning about Mr. Armstrong are the allegations in this article...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/questio...230849439.html

If anything like true, it makes him a rather despicable person. Of course, even if completely true, it doesn't negate that he's done a lot of good through LiveStrong and his inspiring public image of someone who beat cancer.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I don't understand the fascination with him, or Congress's fascination with baseball doping.
    Jason

Zwiefel I'm familiar wt some of what is mentioned in that Yahoo article,& other bully tactics not in it.Think about it,to win one Tour is hard,to win seven,you have to be so driven,take no prisoners,crush your rivals attitude.Like when he turned & looked Jan Ullrich(his german rival)in the face,like watch this sucka & road him off his wheel on the steep slopes in a Mountain stage.

I knew when Tyler Hamilton reluctantly came forward that Armstrong was guilty of doping.Tyler had nothing to gain by lying.

I am no Shrink,but the fact that he disowned his father who left him at a young age(no forgiveness),became a ruthless competitor,because of his physical & mental skills made history.He had to lie to keep up the Myth at any cost.Can you imagine what it must be like for him to have his titles stripped.

HUGE difference between on the field and off the field...furthermore, huge difference to do it with your competitors and with support staff and to take personal vengeance one someone when it will not help you win. That's an indication of character, not circumstances.

I do recognize that this kind of aggression is hard to turn off...and its one of the reasons I never got involved in team sports...lots of unhealthy BS goes on there (which doesn't mean it's ALL unhealthy)...and it's why I only watch two sports: Sumo and Tennis, both sports where there is a premium placed on decorum and sportsmanship (who knows what happens in the locker room though).

Yeah, I can't imagine how crushing it must be to be a competitor like that and have your life's work taken away with a pen. Honestly, I think it's ridiculous. Cycling (and other sports) just needs to acknowledge reality.

My $.02.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

The flip side is those competitors who stayed clean, and then did not win on the big stage. It was also their life's work. Maybe a couple others whose names most of us don't even know would be famous champions, and would have reaped some of the financial windfall. Should they have violated the rules just to stay competitive? Not everyone had as easy access to the state-of-the-art stuff that Lance was doing, so easier to get caught/ banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I'm a cycler, but don't really follow the sport. I also don't understand all the anxiety over PED...they should be legalized and monitored. Maybe have separate leagues for PED and "natural"...or just slightly adjusted rules depending on the nature of the sport in question. We won't stop it from happening, so let's make sure people have good information and proper care.

What I find a great deal more concerning about Mr. Armstrong are the allegations in this article...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/questio...230849439.html

If anything like true, it makes him a rather despicable person. Of course, even if completely true, it doesn't negate that he's done a lot of good through LiveStrong and his inspiring public image of someone who beat cancer.
    I am also a cyclist who doesn't really follow the sport and I agree about legalizing it, that is just how the game is played now.

Sumo? The unhealthiest sport on the planet? "Decorum and tradition" say that you get fat and die young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    HUGE difference between on the field and off the field...furthermore, huge difference to do it with your competitors and with support staff and to take personal vengeance one someone when it will not help you win. That's an indication of character, not circumstances.

I do recognize that this kind of aggression is hard to turn off...and its one of the reasons I never got involved in team sports...lots of unhealthy BS goes on there (which doesn't mean it's ALL unhealthy)...and it's why I only watch two sports: Sumo and Tennis, both sports where there is a premium placed on decorum and sportsmanship (who knows what happens in the locker room though).

Yeah, I can't imagine how crushing it must be to be a competitor like that and have your life's work taken away with a pen. Honestly, I think it's ridiculous. Cycling (and other sports) just needs to acknowledge reality.

My $.02.

The only way that the "clean guys" could have won if everyone was clean was if Armstrong had not been able to recover from cancer without the doping. What percentage of the top guys were NOT doping in some way? Few, I suspect. If you read the Wiki entry for Greg Lemond, here is an entry that says that Lemond possibly attributes some of his succes in the 1989 Giro d'Italia, whihc was his first major race after he was shot in 1987, so "two anti-anemia treatments" that he received during the race. Was that a mispsornt, becaus4 it would probably be illegal today!
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    The flip side is those competitors who stayed clean, and then did not win on the big stage. It was also their life's work. Maybe a couple others whose names most of us don't even know would be famous champions, and would have reaped some of the financial windfall. Should they have violated the rules just to stay competitive? Not everyone had as easy access to the state-of-the-art stuff that Lance was doing, so easier to get caught/ banned.

+ Reply to Thread