Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lance Armstong on Opra

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Sumo? The unhealthiest sport on the planet? "Decorum and tradition" say that you get fat and die young.
    yeah...sadly true. Sumo wrestlers only live to 60-65yo...about 10-15 years earlier than the average Japanese man.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I don't understand the fascination with him, or Congress's fascination with baseball doping.
    +1. I guess we have nothing more pressing to deal with as a nation.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I was just thinking much the same myself...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

The baseball thing was all about Congress getting their mugs on TV. But realistically, since the government long ago gave baseball an real antitrust exemption, you could argue that they should have some oversight.
    I don't understand the fascination with him, or Congress's fascination with baseball doping.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    The baseball thing was all about Congress getting their mugs on TV. But realistically, since the government long ago gave baseball an real antitrust exemption, you could argue that they should have some oversight.
    I'll even expand further. I don't understand the fascination with idolizing sports. I live near Denver and would never pay to see a game, let alone go to one. Millionaires doing what? Playing a game while LEO, firefighters, teachers, and other blue collars make jack. Sports is the opiate for the masses. I hate my life, job, and spouse, but there is always the game on Sunday to look forward to!

ETA: I don't hate sports, just the business and politics of it. I grew up in a sports loving household, but looking back my dad didn't really have any hobbies, interests, or passions besides watch sports on TV. Live life, get outside, and create something!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    It is endless to decide want is important.Shoots when I hear that over many thousands of yrs,the Earth moves in an eliptical orbit around the Sun when it is farther away & a wobble in the axis causes Ice Ages.Who knows?Maybe we have less control than we think.

As a nation many are obsessed wt. sports & celebrity.Through out history cultures have had Hero figures.We have become a little jaded with Hero's,after all they are only human.Lance seemed to have an amazing story,almost dying fr. cancer,going on to do what no other cyclist has done win seven tours.Then all he did for Cancer survivors.With or without drugs one of a handfull of the best ever.Now the Fallen Hero.

EPO was around through the 1990's,1998 tour was almost shut down because of drug scandle.Drug use in cycling was rampant before Lance won his first Tour.Also most all of the elite cyclist of Lances time were using drugs these European team doctors knew how to play the game.It is nieve to think other riders were clean & Lance dirty.That's why the European Cycling Federation stripping him of all his titles saying he is not worth mention,has alot of Bull&*% attached to it.A taxpayer paid Goverment agency to bring him down years after his victories.

Lance Armstrong is dead to me (not that I ever cared much about him or competitive cycling to begin with). All dirty cyclists (which it sounds like the majority of the winners are) are, at best, frauds.

drugs have always been around in cycling, dexedrine and the like were hugely common back in the day.

I kind of miss steel frames, swigging champagne from the saddle and steak for breakfast cycling. It's all getting too damn clean cut.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    This is interesting because in the history of sports, cheating is a time honored tradition. With media coverage and ease of communication through technology, we have information almost instantly. Cheaters throughout history are in halls of fame, record books, and revered by sports fans. We just didn't have the technology then we do now to know about it. I'll pony up a bit of dirt about me. Mark McGwire was my hero growing up. I loved watching him and collecting everything I could. When the Congressional hearing came out, and he admitted to taking Andro, the public outrage towards him was immense. Forget anything good he ever did, the positive he instilled in the game, how he brought the game back from a broken state, and the fans he brought to the game. He was now a villian. A cheater who was the worst possible thing to happen to the game. I am even sure Andro was not against the rules then (I'm too lazy to research this late). Forget the entertainment value and the records he set. This is a game of honor folks! BS. It's always been about gaining an upper advantage on the next guy, no matter how it's done. Some are more deviant than others.

I've decided since sports enthusiasts abandoned McGwires honesty for some kind of personal vendetta against everything good he has done, that I hate, yes hate, everything pro sports stands for. Might I add I work at a Division I college were I oversee Division I athletes. The level of corruption among them is disheartening. They are good kids, but the coachs and athletic department staff make me sick to the stomach. They run the college because they bring in the $$. Screw sports, and anything associated with it.
    Jason

Screw sports, and anything associated with it.
    +1

I am an alumnus of the University of North Carolina and I was always proud that we were able to maintain academic integrity and still be highly competitive in many Division 1 sports. Man was I naive; in the past couple of years our athletic department has shamed the school to no end. I could now care less...

Back on topic, I love to ride my bike...so screw Lance Armstong and the rest of the cheaters.
    one man gathers what another man spills...