What causes the profile of a knife to flatten after multiple sharpenings?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Today when I was leaving work I noticed a coworker had a suisin that was completely flattened along the edge. This was obviously due to his sharpening technique but what is he doing to cause that to happen to his knife?

I've had this happen when I used (1) too coarse of a stone when I was just learning how to sharpen and ground out/flattened the curve of the edge, and (2) put too much pressure on that part of the edge.

Then again, maybe he wanted it that way.

Sometimes people only sharpen the part of the blade that's dull...usually the middle of the blade.

trace the edge profile of the knife onto a piece of paper, then match it to the paper silhouette after you sharpen.

And what does that do? I have seen numerous techniques when sharpening the tip and i want to get an opinion on which ones are the most effective. Thanks!
trace the edge profile of the knife onto a piece of paper, then match it to the paper silhouette after you sharpen.

This is the technique I use.

[video=youtube;tmBTO0cA_qw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmBTO0cA_qw[/video]

It's a little awkward at first, but it's easy to develop a rhythm after a bit of practice.

i think i need to reshoot this for a better quality video and also a better explanation... i hope to do this soon.

And what does that do? I have seen numerous techniques when sharpening the tip and i want to get an opinion on which ones are the most effective. Thanks!

Jon's video will teach you to sharpen the tip. The silhouette will help you maintain the profile so you can figure out if you've sharpened the correct amount to maintain the original profile.

Wow John you make that look so easy. Now to try to do that ambidextrous.

That's a really cool technique, John. Thanks for sharing it! I don't usually feel as though I have any issues with my tips (or profiles), but I'm definitely going to have to give that a try - it looks wicked easy. Thanks again.

i sharpen ambidextrously. heavily left handed biased tho. lol.

Yes, Jon please reshoot that video: we want to see another one of your awesome t-shirts!!!
:justkidding:

Back