Brisket Stew

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
It is stew season here in Fort Worth. The Stock Show is coming to town which is when we normally have are coldest weather.

Fixed a brisket stew and posted some stew tips on my blog this weekend. Been on a cleaver kick lately which works great for stew.
I braised the brisket first in beer and wood roasted the vegetables before adding to the stew.

Here are some pics.

qyUCA.St.117.jpg

HWaEO.St.117.jpg

w4Y6x.St.117.jpg

4qpnd.St.117.jpg

1eb90B.St.117.jpg

QyZk3.St.117.jpg

5iAZ4.St.117.jpg

1t1MSG.St.117.jpg

More pics and recipe here.

The stew turned out great and was even better today after it had a chance to sit.

Really nice looking bowl/pot of stew...great photo essay as well. Good work all around.

Looks great, and great article in the link. Making me hungry

Looks really good! I'm going to have to try your recipe.

Sounds yummy. That is a bit of a Flemish sounding recipe what with the dark beer as the stewing liquid. All you need now is dissolved crusty bread with a smear of Dijon mustard as the thickening agent instead of the flour.:hungry:

in ireland we do something very similar but with guinness and the potatoes on the side and added onions. Its hugely traditional stuff your mum would make.Instead of brisket we use "stewing steak" I think you call it chuck/onions/carrots/mushrooms?

I like this with mash and green beans.

The bacon/celery is a strange addition, its kinda like beef bourgione meets my mums guinness casserole lol.

I love this kind of cookery though!

in ireland we do something very similar but with guinness and the potatoes on the side and added onions. Its hugely traditional stuff your mum would make.Instead of brisket we use "stewing steak" I think you call it chuck/onions/carrots/mushrooms?

I like this with mash and green beans.

The bacon/celery is a strange addition, its kinda like beef bourgione meets my mums guinness casserole lol.

I love this kind of cookery though!

I add bacon to everything! I looked up "stewing steak" and it sounds like it is the same as our term "stew meat" - but not any particular cut of beef.

Finally got around to reading your link. really nice write up. Good combination of information, science, process, communication register, etc. Very much like something I would do...at least I'd like to think so :)

I had never considered the possibility of roasting the veggies first...that is giving me all kinds of ideas. particularly for the potatoes I use in my roast beef.

Finally got around to reading your link. really nice write up. Good combination of information, science, process, communication register, etc. Very much like something I would do...at least I'd like to think so :)

I had never considered the possibility of roasting the veggies first...that is giving me all kinds of ideas. particularly for the potatoes I use in my roast beef.

Thanks Zwiefel! I cook almost everything on my Traeger grill which burns wood pellets. I roast potatoes on it for almost every meal. If I am in a hurry, I will hit the potatoes with the microwave first before finishing them off by roasting on the grill.

Do you have any photos/verbiage about grilling the potatoes? this is something I've tried about 6 times with different varieties of failure :)

I do have an old recipe from cooks illustrated that works (quite well, actually)...but there's just too much overhead in it (skewers, uWave, etc.) and I know there is a way to do this with a veggie basket + the right sized dice.

I use hardwood lump charcoal for my grill...we have a local producer and I go pick it up by the pallet every year or two...able to get a 10# bag for around $3.50 that way.

Do you have any photos/verbiage about grilling the potatoes? this is something I've tried about 6 times with different varieties of failure :)

I do have an old recipe from cooks illustrated that works (quite well, actually)...but there's just too much overhead in it (skewers, uWave, etc.) and I know there is a way to do this with a veggie basket + the right sized dice.

I use hardwood lump charcoal for my grill...we have a local producer and I go pick it up by the pallet every year or two...able to get a 10# bag for around $3.50 that way.

I did find some photos with a couple of chickens I fixed.

1miEkq.St.117.jpg

Depending on the size and type of potatoes, I normally cut them in wedges, half or cubes.

13l54G.St.117.jpg

Then I put the potatoes into a microwave safe bowl and microwaved them using the potato setting and let them cook until the microwave think they are done.

1b9n6D.St.117.jpg

After microwaving, I sprayed the potatoes with some spray oil and seasoned them with some seasoned salt and pepper.

Sc8bw.St.117.jpg

I then roast them at whatever temp I am roasting my protein.

1a4mkB.St.117.jpg

Beer Can Chicken with Roasted Potatoes. More pics/recipe here.

1d0Rb0.St.117.jpg

Leaping Frog Chicken with roasted potatoes. More pics/recipe here.

Ah, ok...you are using wholly indirect heat, and basically crisping/smoking them after cooking in the uWave.

I've been trying to parcook them over direct heat, then move to indirect and it always takes too much time compared to whatever protein I'm making. I'll give this a try next time. Thanks!

Back