Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brisket Stew

Really great pictures.

Sounds yummy. That is a bit of a Flemish sounding recipe what with the dark beer as the stewing liquid. All you need now is dissolved crusty bread with a smear of Dijon mustard as the thickening agent instead of the flour.

in ireland we do something very similar but with guinness and the potatoes on the side and added onions. Its hugely traditional stuff your mum would make.Instead of brisket we use "stewing steak" I think you call it chuck/onions/carrots/mushrooms?

I like this with mash and green beans.

The bacon/celery is a strange addition, its kinda like beef bourgione meets my mums guinness casserole lol.

I love this kind of cookery though!

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Ok, sometimes it just gets a little weird. You and I make the same thing at the same time an awful lot.
    I have noticed that! I am thinking lamb chops next weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by playford View Post
    in ireland we do something very similar but with guinness and the potatoes on the side and added onions. Its hugely traditional stuff your mum would make.Instead of brisket we use "stewing steak" I think you call it chuck/onions/carrots/mushrooms?

I like this with mash and green beans.

The bacon/celery is a strange addition, its kinda like beef bourgione meets my mums guinness casserole lol.

I love this kind of cookery though!
    I add bacon to everything! I looked up "stewing steak" and it sounds like it is the same as our term "stew meat" - but not any particular cut of beef.

Finally got around to reading your link. really nice write up. Good combination of information, science, process, communication register, etc. Very much like something I would do...at least I'd like to think so

I had never considered the possibility of roasting the veggies first...that is giving me all kinds of ideas. particularly for the potatoes I use in my roast beef.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Finally got around to reading your link. really nice write up. Good combination of information, science, process, communication register, etc. Very much like something I would do...at least I'd like to think so

I had never considered the possibility of roasting the veggies first...that is giving me all kinds of ideas. particularly for the potatoes I use in my roast beef.
    Thanks Zwiefel! I cook almost everything on my Traeger grill which burns wood pellets. I roast potatoes on it for almost every meal. If I am in a hurry, I will hit the potatoes with the microwave first before finishing them off by roasting on the grill.

Do you have any photos/verbiage about grilling the potatoes? this is something I've tried about 6 times with different varieties of failure

I do have an old recipe from cooks illustrated that works (quite well, actually)...but there's just too much overhead in it (skewers, uWave, etc.) and I know there is a way to do this with a veggie basket + the right sized dice.

I use hardwood lump charcoal for my grill...we have a local producer and I go pick it up by the pallet every year or two...able to get a 10# bag for around $3.50 that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Do you have any photos/verbiage about grilling the potatoes? this is something I've tried about 6 times with different varieties of failure

I do have an old recipe from cooks illustrated that works (quite well, actually)...but there's just too much overhead in it (skewers, uWave, etc.) and I know there is a way to do this with a veggie basket + the right sized dice.

I use hardwood lump charcoal for my grill...we have a local producer and I go pick it up by the pallet every year or two...able to get a 10# bag for around $3.50 that way.
    I did find some photos with a couple of chickens I fixed.

Depending on the size and type of potatoes, I normally cut them in wedges, half or cubes.

Then I put the potatoes into a microwave safe bowl and microwaved them using the potato setting and let them cook until the microwave think they are done.

After microwaving, I sprayed the potatoes with some spray oil and seasoned them with some seasoned salt and pepper.

I then roast them at whatever temp I am roasting my protein.

Beer Can Chicken with Roasted Potatoes. More pics/recipe here.

Leaping Frog Chicken with roasted potatoes. More pics/recipe here.

Ah, ok...you are using wholly indirect heat, and basically crisping/smoking them after cooking in the uWave.

I've been trying to parcook them over direct heat, then move to indirect and it always takes too much time compared to whatever protein I'm making. I'll give this a try next time. Thanks!