Quantcast
Ideas with lemons? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas with lemons?

Thanks, lots of good ideas. I'll have to check out the label again, these are just ordinary supermarket lemons from CA which I expect to having been grown with all kinds of pesticides etc which would accumulate in the peel - that's why I was thinking more of getting organic lemons for the things that mainly use the peel. But maybe I am just overly careful here. I do see a few lemony drinks in the next few days and may also make some lemon curd and a tarte. I am living out of a few suitcases and boxes right now, so a lot of my kitchen stuff is stored away - will have to see what I can improvise, don't even have a baking pan - let alone a tarte form where I am now...

Stefan

There is a lemon curd on serious eats that uses just a bowl and the microwave. I made it and it tasted ok but the texture wasn't as good as if it were made traditionally. But if your supplies are out of reach it would be pretty good, cleanup was also much better.

For curds, I will just miss my rounded bottom bowl. And the friend I am staying with doesn't seem to own a whisk, very sad. I also read about making creme brulee sous vide, maybe that works for lemon curd also, gotta do some research. The Sous Vide Demi is the only toy I brought with me besides the cast iron pot for baking.

Stefan

We had a bunch of lemons harvested from our backyard lemon trees. We used what we could with lemonade, tea and seafood then hand juiced the rest and froze in ziploc baggies. We have been enjoying lemon bars (desert) throughout the winter.

Good luck to you!

lemon confit!!!!! plus peeling the pith off the skin is awesome with a sharp knife!!!

5 cups kosher salt
    5 tablespoons sugar
    6 lemons, scrubbed and quartered
    In a large bowl, mix the salt with the sugar. Toss the lemons with half of the sugar-salt. Pour a small layer of sugar-salt into a clean quart-size jar. Layer the lemons in the jar, covering them with the remaining sugar-salt as you go. Refrigerate the lemons for at least 2 weeks. To use, rinse the lemons well and use the peel only.

brunoise or julienne and use it in everything! salads, sauces, sides or garnishes, maybe even in a limoncello cocktail!

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    make limoncello
    +1

easy to make.. just takes patience and some good vodka.. made a few gallons a few years back from fresh grown lemons in my backyard.. best limoncello i've had to date

I'm with the idea of just making up some good old lemonade. I like to make a simple syrup with the zest of the the lemons in it. 1 cup sugar to one cup water, add zest trying to not let in any of the pith tag along. Dissolve the sugar and bring to a simmer, then let cool. Strain the zest out of the syrup. Then mix ice, fresh squeezed lemon juice, water, and the fortified syrup to taste. Yum! It's SO good.

Great ideas! The lemons I had have mostly been juiced, went into a lemon pie (IknowIknow, I forgot the pictures...), some lemon curd etc. I love the recipes that use the zest, but maybe I am just paranoid about this: For anything that uses the zest, I would only use organic lemons that have a reasonable chance of not collecting all kind of crap in the zest (like fertilizer or pesticides remnants) and that are not covered with wax. Am I overly careful here?

Stefan