Thread: Saya Nomi Chisel

Saya Nomi Chisel

Hello,
    I have money for one chisel at this time, would 3/8ths be the best choice for making small to mid size Saya (e.g., paring, petty, and maybe 210 Gyuto Sizes)?
    From what I have read, some of the craftsman have many from which to choose, but use the smaller for most projects.
    Later, I may post some of the completed sayas for a few chuckles.
    Thanks,
    Mike

If you're only going to be doing smaller sayas then perhaps a carving gouge would be more economical. A 3/8ths saya nomi would be a fine size IMO, especially for the smaller jobs.

Thank you for the response.
    Mike

Yes, 3/8 is a good size. Just make sure you get saya nomi chisel. Japan Wood Worker has them at about $150 per chisel. They flex and it is crucial in carving a saya. Bent chisels that do not flex are pretty useless in my opinion. The next good size is 5/8. I would not bother with 1". It's for swords sayas.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Marko,
    Good write up on how to make a Saya. Thanks for the response.
    Mike

You bet

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com