Quantcast
Are Nenox knives over priced?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Nenox knives over priced?

Are Nenox knives over priced?

I am looking at a few knives and the Nenox line seems nice but I can't see them being worth the price.

I think so, yeah. They're sort of the well-known "designer" brand, if you will. So you'll be paying a premium for the name. Not bad knives though.

Most def over priced. If I had extra money I'd get one to try it and it looks nice but from what I've read/head you can get much better performance knives even on the $300 range maybe even less.

IIRC, I was looking at these seriously but ended up getting the Suisin Inox Honyaki instead...very glad I made that choice instead. A choice in large measure due to the folks on KKF.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Funny this just came up - I just watched a snippet of an old ICA and Morimoto was on. He and his crew had Nenox knives - look cool, shiny and bling on TV. I've never heard anyone say they are bad, but no one ever says they are great.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

The same could be said for almost any knife. You are getting involved in price vs value, and the value of a thing (a knife in this case) will vary according to the buyer. If you think they are overpriced, then they are, for you. I worked with a guy who though I was nuts for buying a $150 gyuto; he bought $20 Dexter-Russell knives and threw them away when they got dull.

If you thirst after a Nenox, keep your eyes open on the B/S/T. A bargain priced 270 gyuto just sold there. You can be sure there will be more, over time.

Rick

Are there particular makers whose knives perform similarly? I've wondered about Nenox myself, but have never seen/handled one in person.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Are there particular makers whose knives perform similarly? I've wondered about Nenox myself, but have never seen/handled one in person.
    The Hattori Forum knives come the closest, in profile, geometry and steel.

A few years ago when I decided I needed a higher quality knife than my Mundial, I was almost going to get a Nenox G type then a forum member (before I was on the forums) told me about the FH. I looked into it more and decided the FH was an equal knife at a better price with a more comfortable handle.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The Hattori Forum knives come the closest, in profile, geometry and steel.
    Well, maybe not in steel, eh?

+ Reply to Thread