Are Nenox knives over priced?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
I am looking at a few knives and the Nenox line seems nice but I can't see them being worth the price.

I think so, yeah. They're sort of the well-known "designer" brand, if you will. So you'll be paying a premium for the name. Not bad knives though.

Most def over priced. If I had extra money I'd get one to try it and it looks nice but from what I've read/head you can get much better performance knives even on the $300 range maybe even less.

IIRC, I was looking at these seriously but ended up getting the Suisin Inox Honyaki instead...very glad I made that choice instead. A choice in large measure due to the folks on KKF.

Funny this just came up - I just watched a snippet of an old ICA and Morimoto was on. He and his crew had Nenox knives - look cool, shiny and bling on TV. I've never heard anyone say they are bad, but no one ever says they are great.

The same could be said for almost any knife. You are getting involved in price vs value, and the value of a thing (a knife in this case) will vary according to the buyer. If you think they are overpriced, then they are, for you. I worked with a guy who though I was nuts for buying a $150 gyuto; he bought $20 Dexter-Russell knives and threw them away when they got dull.

If you thirst after a Nenox, keep your eyes open on the B/S/T. A bargain priced 270 gyuto just sold there. You can be sure there will be more, over time.

Rick

Are there particular makers whose knives perform similarly? I've wondered about Nenox myself, but have never seen/handled one in person.

A few years ago when I decided I needed a higher quality knife than my Mundial, I was almost going to get a Nenox G type then a forum member (before I was on the forums) told me about the FH. I looked into it more and decided the FH was an equal knife at a better price with a more comfortable handle.

I love my Nenox petty. My favorite knife. I have never considered it overpriced. YMMV.

-AJ

I had always thought Nenox was high priced just because of the finish on the handles. I may be wrong, but they do put a lot in the handles, even the cheaper ones.

I have never seen one in person so I prob. am talking out my @$#. Hmmm maybe we should have a Nenox passaround.

good to know chef. I'm glad someone here has said something about the steel.

"Are Nenox knives over priced?" Yes. VG steel with a so-so grind. Dave does a rehandle for $175(?)...

VG-1 or not, Nenox hoyaki I've had was unable to keep up with VG-10 steel. If you're looking for the quality/design brand recognition then it might be worth it, but if you're looking for performance then it's severely overpriced, IMHO of course.

Info about VG-1 came from long discussions and guesses on KF back then.

Back