Quantcast
Cutting boards - Lone Star or Boardsmith?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting boards - Lone Star or Boardsmith?

Cutting boards - Lone Star or Boardsmith?

Anyone have experience with these boards that they are willing to share? I am looking to get an end grain board in walnut and have narrowed my search to these two. I guess if anyone has recommendations to other boards I am open to that as well.

Thanks for your input,
    Anthony

I have both. Get a BoardSMITH. It took me a long time with a sanding block, 400 wet/dry and mineral oil to get the surface of the LoneStar board anywhere near the smoothness of the BoardSMITH.

Rick

Cant say ive used lone star but got a maple magnum recently and it is impeccable. I challenge you to find a bad word about daves boards! After treatment with bees wax and mineral oil it is nicely waterproof and easy to wipe down. Stains are easily removed. (seems to do it by itself sometimes! its alive!). I also recommend getting as big as your work area allows, im glad i did now, so much easier.

What about feet, did you guys get feet with it? I am thinking it might be nice to use both sides.

I cannot comment on the Lone Star apart from they look nice, but I love my walnut Boardsmith. It has seen a year of hard use and so far held up very well.

And yes, I got the feet with mine as it is perpetually on the counter top and I did not want to have to worry about drying.

Quote Originally Posted by antbanks View Post
    What about feet, did you guys get feet with it? I am thinking it might be nice to use both sides.
    I got feet on both boards. You really want feet to keep the board elevated so water doesn't get trapped underneath it. The feet also keep it from sliding on a countertop.

i use one of these under my two boards (a Boos and an older birch end grain block from Ikea that i've put a lot of work into), and it works great.

I've owned a number of different boards. In the last couple of years, I've purchased a half dozen BoardSMITH boards of different sizes. I got one with feet. They are nice but I prefer to prop them up on little rubber feet that aren't attached and be able to use both sides. If you get a BoardSMITH, you may have to wait longer than you think is reasonable but the it's worth it.

Boardsmith has a huge following here, whenever anyone asks about a board his are always the first recommended. You can check out his sub forum here as he is also a member and see even more of his work. I haven't yet bought one, but when the time comes I will!

I currently have an asahi rubber cutting board that I got from Korin. For that I put a Silpat under it to keep it from sliding around and that works well. And I can used both side. But I have really gotten into higher end knives and believe a nice end grain cutting board is the way to go. I was thinking to get a groove cut on one side for meat/roasts and then leave the other flat, but no feet so I can switch it around. But maybe tk59 is on to something and I should go overboard like I do with my 240 gyuto collection and just get multiple boards