Quantcast
Konosuke HD vs Geshin Ginga - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke HD vs Geshin Ginga

at least Diana did'nt try to sell him a full cutco line

So far it's Geshin over Kono and a random comment?....

I also would like to read how these 2 compare from somebody who has used them both.

I posed the same question here a year ago - though I included the Suisin IH and the artiflex(?) as well. The recommendations then were overwhelmingly for the Ginga and Suisin. I followed that advice and have been quite happy with it. Sorry Vlad, no experience with Kono. Good luck in your search.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I haven't been able to make a direct comparison between two identical knives, e.g. Konosuke HD 240 Wa Gyuto vs. Gesshin Ginga Stainless 240 Wa Gyuto, but I have used a 270 Konosuke HD and just used a Gesshin 240 White No. 2 Wa Gyuto yesterday for the first time. The 270 HD was a nice knife, but not outstanding. It really doesn't stick out in my memory.

The grind on the Gesshin is excellent, and, for being a laser, it felt stiff and agile. The OOTB edge is very sharp (I was able to nearly shave cabbage, cut cleanly through some pork loin - raw and cooked), and the fit and finish is excellent. The handles that JKI gets for these knives are really nice. The ferrules are flush with the wooden part of the handle, the sayas fit very nicely (mine was actually a touch too tight). (Also, FWIW, compared to a Nogent that I've been using the past few days, I much prefer the Ginga. I'll post more about the Ginga as I continue to use it over the next several days.)

Especially given the recent Konosuke price increase, and comments about declining fit and finish of Konosuke knives, if the stainless steel used for the Ginga is close in performance to the HD steel (which, I would assume it is), I'd have to give my vote to the Gesshin Ginga.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Someone mentioned the Suisin earlier, does anyone know why its about 100 bucks more than the Kono. Is it that much better of a knife?

the suisin inox isnt really "better" than a gesshin ginga. it has a nicer handle...maybe there are costs associated with their labor and production that makes the final product cost more...but the ginga and the suisin perform the same. theyre alittle different when it comes to sharpening but theyre both really really great knives. as are the sakai yusukes at bluewayjapan ebay store.

I just ordered a Gesshin Ginga 300mm Wa-Sujihiki on Friday and received it this afternoon.

I haven't done anything but admire it so far, but I think the fit & finish are excellent. It is nice and thin, too. The saya fits well and the knife was well packed for shipping.

The folks at JKI seem to be very nice people as well as a pleasure to do business with.

I think I'll christen the knife on the St. Patrick's Day Corned beef, which it should cut like a beam of light.

All in all, I am absolutely delighted both with the transaction and the knife.

I have heard a few people say that sharpening the Suisin is different. How so? Can someone explain?

give jon at JKI a ring. this is why everybody likes him so much-he can break it down for you. i think suisins are a little more wear resistant, have slightly better edge retention especially if you make a microbevel when you sharpen. gingas are a little easier to sharpen...and may have better edge stability. ive used them both, and theyre the 2 easiest stainless knives ive ever sharpened. well, also the DT ITK. sakai yusukes should be right there in the conversation along ginga and suisin IMO.