Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing the polite thing

Welcome.

Welcome.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I very much appreciate the welcome here and I will take to heart all the encouragement to participate freely, although I'm still devouring so much great advice and knowledge already buried in previous posts.. I honestly just cant get enough even after several late nights of reading.

Cheers...!

Welcome to Kitchen Knife Forums! I also recently begun to upgrade my knives & started down the path of deciding on a gyuto. I picked a 240mm Takeda thanks to the members here (it's perfect for me), but I can see I might also end up adding a 210 & 270mm at some point. The addiction has started, enjoy!

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Welcome to the forum! Take physiognomy's advice and keep an eye out for a used 240 Takeda Gyuoto. Our buy sell trade thread rocks!

Hi Physio.. thank you for the recommendation! you also might be well suited to answer another question seeing as you started out before me but on a similar path... did you find that when you got your first 240mm gyuto that you were completely satisfied with the size?

I ask this because my largest kitchen knife is currently an 8" Wusthof Classic model #4582 and I have always been unhappy with it's size, feeling it was too small. Because I do not live very close to a good vender of Japanese blades I'm at a loss to actually hold one before purchasing and, as a matter of fact, have even been considering purchasing both a 240 and a 270mm with the intention of returning one of them after I can heft them.

I gather these Japanese knives are much lighter than what I'm used to and I don't know what effect that experience may impart on me either. I respect a tool that just seems to fit well in an owners hand so this decision matters to me.

I'll search out a pic of Takeda Gyuto, but in the meantime.... tell me what you thought of the 240mm size?

Welcome! Always good having more Canadians on here, sure seems like alot of us now.

Quote Originally Posted by aMonster View Post
    Hi Physio.. thank you for the recommendation! you also might be well suited to answer another question seeing as you started out before me but on a similar path... did you find that when you got your first 240mm gyuto that you were completely satisfied with the size? ...
    No worries, glad to help where I can. I upgraded from the same 8" Wusthof Classic & definitely found the 240mm comfortable/natural. One thing to point out is that I've almost completely converted from a hammer grip to a pinch grip. What this means is that I still have roughly 8-8.5" of blade in front of my hand when cutting with my new grip. Maybe that's something you might want to considers when making your decision? Overall, I'm very happy with my choice (I wouldn't have been unhappy with a 270mm either) & this knife will more than suit my needs for many years to come.

Thanks physio, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I also use the pinch grip, I guess I always have as it just feels most natural to me, perhaps adding to my sense of 8" Wusthof being too short. I suppose this means I can safely lean towards a 270mm.

Welcome! I agonized over whick knife to buy (the most fun I've ever had in agony) and decided on 15 before changing my mind yet again. Just remember, you don't have to own only one...
    Restaurant Murphy's Law 101: If you have 5 and don't prep any, you'll sell 6. If you do prep some, you'll sell 4