Doing the polite thing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMonster

Reaction score
Just checking in to announce my shinny new membership here, not sure why I didn't discover this place long ago as I'm a big enthusiast of the best kitchen toys.

I expect I'll be doing a great deal of lurking and not allot of posting as, there is just such a vast wealth of info already available in previous posts that should answer nearly every question I might have but... just in case, a bit about me.

I am not a chef or cook nor have I ever worked in a restaurant, I just discovered I have a passion for recipes and good healthy foods. I have also had a life long fascination with knife sharpening going back to when I was a kid, and unfortunately only discovered late in life that Wusthof was not the end all be all of chef knives.

I'm currently doing allot of dreaming about Masakage Koishi Gyuto but dont live close enough to a quality vendor to pick the animal of my choice.. in fact this is really bothering me because I cant even decide if I want a 240mm or 270mm let alone be able to select my actual kitchen sabre.

Welcome aboard! Feel free to ask any questions you may have. That's how any of us learn, and sometimes seemingly simple questions bring out really cool discussions where everyone learns something new :)

Welcome to KKF.

...I cant even decide if I want a 240mm or 270mm let alone be able to select my actual kitchen sabre.

Take your time! My wishlist changed on a daily basis for months before I pulled the trigger for the first time.

Welcome aboard! Feel free to ask any questions you may have. That's how any of us learn, and sometimes seemingly simple questions bring out really cool discussions where everyone learns something new :)

+1. Lots of knowledgeable and fun people to discuss with on this forum. And welcome!

Welcome - lots of fun here and someone is always sharing something new.

Greetings! Hang around a bit and there are probably some neighbors (lots of Canadians here) of yours that could let you try something to get a better feel for size.

I very much appreciate the welcome here and I will take to heart all the encouragement to participate freely, although I'm still devouring so much great advice and knowledge already buried in previous posts.. I honestly just cant get enough even after several late nights of reading.

Cheers...!

Welcome to Kitchen Knife Forums! I also recently begun to upgrade my knives & started down the path of deciding on a gyuto. I picked a 240mm Takeda thanks to the members here (it's perfect for me), but I can see I might also end up adding a 210 & 270mm at some point. The addiction has started, enjoy!

Welcome to the forum! Take physiognomy's advice and keep an eye out for a used 240 Takeda Gyuoto. Our buy sell trade thread rocks!

Hi Physio.. thank you for the recommendation! you also might be well suited to answer another question seeing as you started out before me but on a similar path... did you find that when you got your first 240mm gyuto that you were completely satisfied with the size?

I ask this because my largest kitchen knife is currently an 8" Wusthof Classic model #4582 and I have always been unhappy with it's size, feeling it was too small. Because I do not live very close to a good vender of Japanese blades I'm at a loss to actually hold one before purchasing and, as a matter of fact, have even been considering purchasing both a 240 and a 270mm with the intention of returning one of them after I can heft them.

I gather these Japanese knives are much lighter than what I'm used to and I don't know what effect that experience may impart on me either. I respect a tool that just seems to fit well in an owners hand so this decision matters to me.

I'll search out a pic of Takeda Gyuto, but in the meantime.... tell me what you thought of the 240mm size?

Welcome! Always good having more Canadians on here, sure seems like alot of us now.

Hi Physio.. thank you for the recommendation! you also might be well suited to answer another question seeing as you started out before me but on a similar path... did you find that when you got your first 240mm gyuto that you were completely satisfied with the size? ...

No worries, glad to help where I can. I upgraded from the same 8" Wusthof Classic & definitely found the 240mm comfortable/natural. One thing to point out is that I've almost completely converted from a hammer grip to a pinch grip. What this means is that I still have roughly 8-8.5" of blade in front of my hand when cutting with my new grip. Maybe that's something you might want to considers when making your decision? Overall, I'm very happy with my choice (I wouldn't have been unhappy with a 270mm either) & this knife will more than suit my needs for many years to come.

Thanks physio, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I also use the pinch grip, I guess I always have as it just feels most natural to me, perhaps adding to my sense of 8" Wusthof being too short. I suppose this means I can safely lean towards a 270mm.

Welcome! I agonized over whick knife to buy (the most fun I've ever had in agony) and decided on 15 before changing my mind yet again. Just remember, you don't have to own only one...

Welcome. This place is filled with great info, and a great group of people.

Welcome! I went 270 on my first sharper knife buy (Tojiro powdered steel) and it seemed HUGE when I first got it, though you quickly get use to it. Was very good for big tasks, but I prefer the 240 for normal use. What kind of budget are you looking at for your main knife?

Back