Homemade Ice Cream

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know why, but in the dead of winter, I usually get a craving for ice cream. I'm not sure why.

Anyhow, late last night I made Guinness ice cream and put it on some freshly baked brownies. It was so good that this morning I woke up and had it again for breakfast.

I love trying different ice creams. My favorite is peanut butter, but in the past I have made avocado, pear/pecorino, sweet corn, cinnamon, and strawberry-sour cream.

k.

sounds awesome. makes me wanna fix up my ice cream machine.

Please elaborate on this Guinnessice cream sir.,

I came across the recipe in Jamie Oliver's magazine. I'll take a photo of it when I have the chance, but you basically reduce a can of guinness to about 100ml, then make an egg yolk (5x)/sugar slurry (180g) and add hot milk (300 ml) to it for the custard. Add the reduce beer to the custard, and then turn in some whipping cream (300 ml) that has been whipped to soft peaks.

The ice cream starts off tasting sort of like coffee ice cream and finishes with beer notes. It took significantly longer to finish in my ice cream maker than other ice creams I have made. Part of it was because I didn't have time to properly chill the mixture as much as I would have liked, but it may also have been because of the alcohol and air whipped into the cream. Often homemade ice creams freeze up rock hard, but this one was still fluffy and easy to scoop the next day.

k.

i might rightly try that out. wonder if a bit of molasses would do as an addition and cut down on the sugar? =D

playing around with ratios. fun.

That's interesting...I would either love it or hate it...not sure which :)

Ugh...me wants. Guess i need to make it a point to be a breakfast guest of yours Rick ;)

Sounds like something that would be good to try on waffles for breakfast.

Ordered a 1.5L robot coupe ice cream churn last week, it arrived today ! Looking forward to putting it through its paces for the rest of summer, and through winter :)

my father and grandfather used to make and sell their own ice cream. maybe i should take up making ice cream in honor of that. =D

Ordered a 1.5L robot coupe ice cream churn last week, it arrived today ! Looking forward to putting it through its paces for the rest of summer, and through winter :)

I've been thinking about replacing my ice cream churn that broke about 5 years ago...would like to hear your thoughts about the Robo Coupe and also any other models worth considering for home use.

For what it is worth, my wife said this morning after I convinced her to have some for breakfast too, "That is the second best ice cream you make after peanut butter." But then again, she is pregnant, so it just may be that she appreciates the drinking beer 'loophole' ;)

I think my next experiment is going to be sriracha ice cream. It sounds bad to me, but there is nothing better in life than investing your own time and energy into proving YOURSELF wrong. Don't worry about convincing others -- take on the one person you have a chance of changing...and do it with ice cream.

k.

Cinnamon ice cream on some warm apple crisp. Breakfast of Champions.

That is my favorite also. Recently I ran into some snickerdoodle ice cream that just isn't the same as plain vanilla or cinnamon with Crisp. I probably eat more ice cream in the winter than I do in the summer months.

I think my next experiment is going to be sriracha ice cream. It sounds bad to me, but there is nothing better in life than investing your own time and energy into proving YOURSELF wrong. Don't worry about convincing others -- take on the one person you have a chance of changing...and do it with ice cream.

k.

I did a ghost pepper sorbet at the Texas knife get together last year... Don't think it went over that well (had strawberry & cherry as a backup).

I think a cherry or pineapple with hot peppers would be fantastic.

I made lemon cheesecake ice cream a while ago, I liked it a lot. Ice cream is incredibly simple to make, I don't have a machine or any scales or anything and it's still pretty simple.

I did a ghost pepper sorbet at the Texas knife get together last year... Don't think it went over that well (had strawberry & cherry as a backup).

That's really funny. The only group I would try ghost pepper sorbet on would KKF knuts too. With that said, I have heard good things about tabasco ice cream.

k.

Guinness ice cream sounds a bit weird, but I have had cinnamon and it rocked!

That's really funny. The only group I would try ghost pepper sorbet on would KKF knuts too. With that said, I have heard good things about tabasco ice cream.

k.
Yeah, and naphtha and murk attic acid creme brûlée might be good too. ;-)

How was the avocado? I love making avocado shakes, and I always imagined an ice cream counterpart would be good.

The Sriracha made me laugh. I wanna how how it turns out.

What kind of ice cream makers are people using at home? I think I read on another thread on this subject that the standard/inexpensive Cuisinart performs adequately...

I have to try some of these ideas!

Got the Cuisinart 'gelato' machine w/ built-in compressor a couple years ago. It has a pretty small capacity, but I don't have to deal with freezing tubs ahead of time, etc. (and we never have enough room in the freezer to keep one in there). I think the machine was ~$200, and for home use it's been great. i'd love something that had a higher production rate, but fact is this more then covers our needs. A typical batch is enough for ~12 servings.

Made a butter" scotch" Gelato with Lagavulin once and it was .....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They work very well. I keep a couple inserts in the freezer at all times. They're cheap enough to buy 2, so making 2 flavors at the same time is easy. They last years and years. Make sure your mix is very, very cold when you start the machine and you'll have ice cream or sorbet in 20 to 25 minutes. A little of your favorite booze or a litte extra sugar act as anti freeze and help keep it a litte softer when storing in the freezer. Basic recipes come out great but the sky's the limit.

Latest posts

Back