Looking for a little cleaver input...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumblinman

Reaction score
I've been loving the Chinese Cleavers from afar and have decided to delve into them further. My first is a Dexter SS cleaver I got from the local Asian store. It has it's definite advantages right off the bat including sharp edge, easy pick up of produce and easy clean up. But it lacks in cutting of starchy produce. i.e. potatoes, squash.... I've noticed this cleaver in particular is V shaped so maybe the culprit. Thanks for any input !

With such a large blade face, cleavers tend to be flattish, which doesn't help with stiction issues...

The CCK cleaver either 11xx or 13xx series are excellent. Good price and thin as a laser gyuto. Takes a great edge with ease and holds it decently

As Chris pointed out cleavers with their large sides, have a tendency to stick. Thin slicing cleaver are the worst for stiction with starchy vegetables. The chopping cleavers, with their thicker blades, seem to be better at pushing food apart. Food will still stick to them though.

Food climbing up the side of a cleaver, is just the nature of the beast. A forum member posted once, that he would rather have the food on his knife, then all over the board.

Jay

Back