Shaving head with a nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kind of vids pops up from time to time.
I am still trying to figure out why they do, other than as a way to brag about the ability to put an edge on a knife...
I prefer to perform my daily head-shaves with a proper straight razor myself

I am still trying to figure out why they do, other than as a way to brag about the ability to put an edge on a knife...

yes true, but the way this guy was taking those long strokes.. i was just shocked... and ive never seen it done with a nakiri haahha

And you propably have enough of these not to need nakiri for the job ;)
Hope U had nice holiday B :)

Ive seen this guy shaving with CCK cleaver but whats the point I havent catched that. Hes from Sweden

I've been cutting my vegetables with a straight razor for years. This is no big deal....

Wish my head was that smooth. I have "hockey head" so I keep a full head of hair to cover up my road map of bumps, lumps and scar tissue.

His head looked pretty smooth before he started which makes me wonder. I'm always looking for a better way. Haven't found anything better than Gillette Power Fusion.

-AJ

Couldn't agree more. I guess there are different approaches to sharpening. I prefer fairly toothy edges that last a long time whereas others seem to be obsessed with taking edges as fine as they possibly can until they can split atoms. Seems entirely pointless to me. It seem these people enjoy sharpening the knives more than actually using them. Guess it would be useful if you use a lot of coconuts maybe?

He was bald to begin with! I have tried a couple time to shave my head with a straight, but my hair just grows to dense for even the heaviest wedges to do anything. If I want speed I use a head blade, nifty little invention that works great if I wanna get super smooth I use a DE.

He was bald to begin with! I have tried a couple time to shave my head with a straight, but my hair just grows to dense for even the heaviest wedges to do anything. If I want speed I use a head blade, nifty little invention that works great if I wanna get super smooth I use a DE.

I have several head blades. What's a DE?

-AJ

+1, it successively served to amaze the hell out of many SR newbies, but other than that.. I guess Murray Carter quirky shaving vids are inspiring to some people after all.

i know this guy. Jens. ivn been in his house. :groucho:

A DE is a double edge razor.
Like a Gillette Fatboy or thousands of other similar ones..

OK, I'm intrigued. I can't imagine shaving my head with a straight razor. The head blades are nice but clog. I like the Power Fusion because it unclogs easily. Will a double edged razor give a smoother shave? I know nothing of them except remember one in my grandparent's bathroom. I don't shave every day, maybe every other or every third day and if there is something better out there I'd love to know.

-AJ

OK, I'm intrigued. I can't imagine shaving my head with a straight razor. The head blades are nice but clog. I like the Power Fusion because it unclogs easily. Will a double edged razor give a smoother shave? I know nothing of them except remember one in my grandparent's bathroom. I don't shave every day, maybe every other or every third day and if there is something better out there I'd love to know.

-AJ

Yes, in my opinion a DE will shave circles around the Fusion.
Closer, smoother and without clogging up while doing so.
They can be had for just a few bucks on ebay, and the blades are dirt cheap compared to the cartridges.
Try to find a vintage Gillette, and get some Gillette yellow pack blades and you have some stellar gear for shaving.
Again, imho that is:)

trimming the bush to make the tree look taller
[video=youtube;1TiJNewpCnY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TiJNewpCnY[/video]

If I have a little fuzz going on I use an open comb style, almost impossible to clog and much smoother then any cartridge razor I've ever used. The quality of the blade plays a huge part in the closeness of shave with DE razors, you can buy cheap wilkinson's or the like at Walmart for a buck or two for a ten pack which will last a month but for a better shave quality blades make all the difference, I like feather blades but some find them to be "too sharp."

Yes, in my opinion a DE will shave circles around the Fusion.
Closer, smoother and without clogging up while doing so.
They can be had for just a few bucks on ebay, and the blades are dirt cheap compared to the cartridges.
Try to find a vintage Gillette, and get some Gillette yellow pack blades and you have some stellar gear for shaving.
Again, imho that is:)

Yeah I agree with you totally. Got a DE for Christmas a while ago and I love it. Shaves way better than any of the modern Gilettes and the blades cost about 20p each

-AJ

I shaved my head for many years before growing my hair long, and i can agree the head blades are terrible and clog. I used the gillete mach 3s at the time ,. but i was not into DE or wet shaving at the time.

A DE or straight razor shave on the head or face is supreme in comparison to the more "modern" methods, and more cost effective (if you control the addiction!)

I personally use DE Razors to shave and have never looked back.

And to those commenting on the video! he didnt have very long hair but you can hear that its scraping and shaving .. hes probably just going for that smooth glass feel. And again what shocked me is not because its just another knife shaving video, its the LONG strokes he took!! realy scary imo the guy is totally "zen"

And you propably have enough of these not to need nakiri for the job ;)
Hope U had nice holiday B :)

Ive seen this guy shaving with CCK cleaver but whats the point I havent catched that. Hes from Sweden

I reckon I kinda do:)
Thanks mate, NYC was great!
Both the Mrs and I had a ball over there.
Will go back soon;)

:bliss:
I've been cutting my vegetables with a straight razor for years. This is no big deal....
:laughat:

When I saw Murry shave off his beard wt a necknife,in his advanced sharpening DVD at first I thought what is he doing?Then it hit me,taking a totaly dull blade,2 basic stones,& sound tech.,shaved a full beard off his face & neck.I was impressed.Started working on stropping on polishing stones after that.

I give you straight Razor guys credit,never used one yet maybe too chicken

This guy is cool, I give him credit cuz he does what he does and he does it well. I LOVE shaving the nugbone with my DE. 100 feather razors cost me $15 shipped. My 1943 Gillette cost me $6. I have straights as well and got pretty good with them but DE is so convenient and easy just been rocking that lately. Smoothest shave ever.

I'm going to try a Gem single edge. Should be here this week. If I like it I might try a Vie from Lefty.

-AJ

I can get 30 feather blades,Merker 180 safty razor,Tweezerman brush for about 60.00 on Amazon.Now I'm using Costco throwaways & canned soap,I could easy go to a brush & mug,have 2 Antique carbon straight razors,but not the huevos to try them yet.

Maybe I will try the DE safty razor & feather blades see how I like it

I can get 30 feather blades,Merker 180 safty razor,Tweezerman brush for about 60.00 on Amazon.Now I'm using Costco throwaways & canned soap,I could easy go to a brush & mug,have 2 Antique carbon straight razors,but not the huevos to try them yet.

Maybe I will try the DE safty razor & feather blades see how I like it

That would be a great start for getting better shaves and less skin-irritation:)
One little tip if you go that route; Get a sampler pack of various blades.
The various blades out there can really make a difference when you find the right one for you.
That said, the Feather blades are top-notch, although some feel they are a bit harsh.

Thanks I was looking & found bulk blades are much cheaper but wanted to try first & see how I like it.So got 10 feather blades,Merker 180,Tweezerman bager brush,shaving soap all for 60.00 free shipping.Now I will look into sampler pacs. like you said.

Maybe I should start a new thread. Got my Gem today. Shaved a third of my face with it. Not impressed so far. My Power Fusion shaved the other 2/3 faster and didn't feel like it was pulling tbe hairs out. Wasn't even a close contest. I'll give the old fashion blade a few more attempts though.

-AJ

Latest posts

Back