Hiromoto AS sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwatts28

Reaction score
Hello to all. I'm at a loss I've just ordered some hiromoto AS knives but at a loss as to what to do when the times come to sharpen the knives. I've been practicing on a cheap set I currently have and doing an OK job at the minute. I've seen YouTube videos sharpening at a 45 degree turn others 90 degrees then flip the other side and procede in the same way. My question is what is the best YouTube guide for these knives or even what is the best YouTube guide altogether? More so I have a cheap double sided 800/100 whetstone what grit and or brand best compliments these knives?

Many thanks,

Ben

You definitely need a finer stone. I'd recommend something in the 1k-3k range. My favorite is the Gesshin 2k but I like the Gesshin 1k for convenience. For a low cost option, get a Bester 1.2k.

Welcome Ben!

Watch Jon's video's, you will drive yourself nuts trying to pay attention to all the idiots on youtube. For a new knife you may need something in the higher grit range (maybe 5-6k) unless the knife came with a horrible edge.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBF55079F53216AB&feature=view_all

Cheers!

:plus1: to watching Jon's vids. He is also a member of the forum here and frequently answers questions about the videos.

Dave Martell also sells DVD's of his sharpening techniques...and teaches hands-on classes in PA.

Finally: practice, practice, practice. I've taken to sharpening anything I get my hands on...strangely, it's harder to sharpen crappy, stamped $8 wal-mart knives than good cutlery, so you'll learn the basics with those and make some friends/family happy along the way.

Brilliant thanks for the help I've been watching Jon's videos out of all the YouTube videos he seems to be one of the few who seems like he knows what he is talking about! I will look into the stones thanks for all the help.

bringing this back as it is relevant to me as of today. fresh out of the box, should i start with a 1200 or a 5000 grit?

also, i got a g3 petty. what can i expect from that? will it be much more difficult to sharpen than my AS?

Both come with a decent edge that could use some refinement though. Expect it to be sharpened at some 1.2-2k. The grinding behind the edge is a bit coarse to my taste.
I would just enjoy both as they are. You may maintain them by stropping - performing very light edge leading strokes - on your 5k.
G3 is amongst the easiest stainless there are, but compared to carbon, is a little harder to deburr. I would tend to say AS is a little harder to deburr than simpler carbons as well. In both cases the weakened burr won't fall off but should get abraded. I use very light longitudinal strokes for that.
Enjoy your new knives!

Back