Quantcast
Carbonext gyuto
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbonext gyuto

Carbonext gyuto

I know these knives have been discussed a lot here but I have a couple questions. Are they really as easy to sharpen as carbon blades? I know that's a loaded question because some carbon knives don't sharpen so well but on average. Also I'm under the impression jknives are superior not only for their thinness and geometry but also they're a harder steel so the edge lasts longer. These are rated at 59-61 hrc. 61 isn't bad but at 59 that's comparable to Germans. Which isn't very good and since I don't use a steel... And last but not least I'm a lefty. Will the asymmetry be a downside for me? Thanks. Really I'm looking at the carbonext because it's priced well and doesn't seem to need a lot of work besides the edge itself. I'm no where near to level to buy something like the Hiromoto AS and the work it entails and after owning several stainless knives I'll never buy another

a carbonext would be a good idea for you. best value introduction into semi stainless type knives and practice for carbons.

I already have a couple carbons. A custom EDC O1 knife and a cck slicer. No Japanese knife yet though

59 isn't too soft. Most Germans are in the lower 50's. Some have bumped up to 58 in recent times, in response to the popularity of jknives.

A couple points I think often get ignored with the carbonext. The edge is terrible. Will need a bevel set right away, meaning you will need a lower grit stone. Also, its geometry is nearly flat; not good for stiction....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I'm used to stiction. That cck is awful. Doesn't bother me though. I just swipe it off. I've pretty much thinned out the edge on all my knives. Have a 220 naniwa or if feeling brave the belt grinder. Wusthof knives are rated around 58 hrc and it really is too soft

Only higher ended Wusty are 58. Most henckel and Wusty are 52 to 54...

@ 59-61 with a semi stainless, you will have a very tough and long lasting edge.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Ok. Ya my wusthof is the grand prize 2. When I actually use it it doesn't last long. What about the asymmetry?

Doesn't matter since you have to set your own edge immediately anyway. Just create the initial bevel with a left handed asymmetry.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

But isn't the whole knife ground asymmetrically?

Koki/JCK mention on their site that lefty blades are available on the carbonext and you should email for the price.

+ Reply to Thread