Carbonext gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicv

Reaction score
I know these knives have been discussed a lot here but I have a couple questions. Are they really as easy to sharpen as carbon blades? I know that's a loaded question because some carbon knives don't sharpen so well but on average. Also I'm under the impression jknives are superior not only for their thinness and geometry but also they're a harder steel so the edge lasts longer. These are rated at 59-61 hrc. 61 isn't bad but at 59 that's comparable to Germans. Which isn't very good and since I don't use a steel... And last but not least I'm a lefty. Will the asymmetry be a downside for me? Thanks. Really I'm looking at the carbonext because it's priced well and doesn't seem to need a lot of work besides the edge itself. I'm no where near to level to buy something like the Hiromoto AS and the work it entails and after owning several stainless knives I'll never buy another

a carbonext would be a good idea for you. best value introduction into semi stainless type knives and practice for carbons.

I already have a couple carbons. A custom EDC O1 knife and a cck slicer. No Japanese knife yet though

59 isn't too soft. Most Germans are in the lower 50's. Some have bumped up to 58 in recent times, in response to the popularity of jknives.

A couple points I think often get ignored with the carbonext. The edge is terrible. Will need a bevel set right away, meaning you will need a lower grit stone. Also, its geometry is nearly flat; not good for stiction....

I'm used to stiction. That cck is awful. Doesn't bother me though. I just swipe it off. I've pretty much thinned out the edge on all my knives. Have a 220 naniwa or if feeling brave the belt grinder. Wusthof knives are rated around 58 hrc and it really is too soft

Only higher ended Wusty are 58. Most henckel and Wusty are 52 to 54...

@ 59-61 with a semi stainless, you will have a very tough and long lasting edge.

Ok. Ya my wusthof is the grand prize 2. When I actually use it it doesn't last long. What about the asymmetry?

Doesn't matter since you have to set your own edge immediately anyway. Just create the initial bevel with a left handed asymmetry.

But isn't the whole knife ground asymmetrically?

Koki/JCK mention on their site that lefty blades are available on the carbonext and you should email for the price.

I may try that. I've usually found though that pricing on lefty knives is quite high

Koki/JCK mention on their site that lefty blades are available on the carbonext and you should email for the price.

No need to. I gifted a righty CN gyuto to a lefty friend, adjusted to bevel to 50/50 and no problems. It's a great knife.

What would I do? Mostly thin the knife on the left side when I'm cutting new bevels?

I just got a Carbonext as well, nice knife except the edge is really bad. Is there any reason *not* to make it symmetrical? It's easy enough on the edge pro (if a bit of a pain) to keep or make any asymmetry you want I have discovered but it is so much easier to deal with symmetric knives. Do you really see the benefits of a 70.30 or 60/40 asymmetric edge??

Maybe I'm not understanding this but isn't it the entire grind and geometry of the blade that's asymmetrical? Not the edge? I mean the edge I can easily fix but if it's in the design of the whole thing that's not an easy fix because I have to get the edge back in line with down the center with the spine. That's how I understand it anyway

Jknives usually have a flat sided face and a convexed face. Some are heavily convexed, others not. Carbonext has a flattish grind, which is good for lefties, but not good for food release.

Difference in asymmetric edges is the more offset, the more accute the angle, meaning sharper. The drawbacks are edge retention and steering.

I'd ask Koki about getting a lefty one definitely. It is still ground asymmetrically even though I think it's only like 60/40, I'd still ask him. And the OOTB edge is horrific, probably the worst OOTB edge I have ever used, I usually use knives for a while with the original edge to get a feel for them but I couldn't bear it with the Carbonext

Just rough as in not finished to being sharp or full regrind bad?

There is an edge on it, but it is pretty bad. Nothing sharpening wouldn't fix, but OOTB edges are usually a little better, that's all

Ok thanks. It's still up in the air. I may still buy the masamoto ct or the suien vg. So many choices! Or a moritaka blue #2. Hesitant on that though from the grind issues I've read about. They're all generally in the same price range

Let me just say this -- out of all the knives I've owned or used over the years, my 240 CN would be one of the last to go.

Might sound weird to many, but this knife just plain does the job...it fits the bill for what I value most: performance. Of course that is not right out of the box, but with some sharpening know-how and tweaking, it can be a beast...don't let the 59 or whatever hrc fool you. Funny that I originally wasn't a fan of the profile, and wished it had a wa-handle, and hoped Koki would change the name, and blah blah blah...but it has became one of my favorites for its simplicity. This is just one man's opinion.

1yn3vq.jpg

+1^. I love my 240 for the same reason above, it's a simple knife. It takes a beating, and keeps on going. It's become my loaner here at work, but still love taking her home for a workout there too. My edge OOTB wasn't too too bad, but did need a little work. I'm thinking of a rehandle for mine soon, but keeping it western. I have thought about selling it, but just can't get myself to do it.

If you done mind putting in a nights worth of work into her, I think you'll be plenty happy

Its not that I mind putting work into it. It's that I don't know what to do. I can put a decent edge on a knife but anything like that would be beyond my skill level and I wouldn't want to ruin something I just spent $150 on

Its not that I mind putting work into it. It's that I don't know what to do. I can put a decent edge on a knife but anything like that would be beyond my skill level and I wouldn't want to ruin something I just spent $150 on

I am sort of obsessed about knives...but then again I get obsessed with anything I love...that being said I have had this attitude as well and I will say without hesitation that feeling as though you have ruined a $500 knife was the best teacher I have ever had for understanding how to make that knife (a tool albeit a handmade incredibly beautiful soulful object) do what i want it to do so that it performs its task well as a tool. That same $500 knife now sings in my hand and it feels awesome. You may not feel the same way but knife maintenance is a slippery slope. Once you have sharpened until you have to thin the knife it is all downhill from there towards really understanding how to maintain and respect the geometry of a knife and to make it do what you want. I say go for it. If you want that knife to do what you want you will eventually have to learn how to make it do what you want regardless of how much money you spent on it.

I want to go back to the original post just for a minute. You say that you're looking at a carbonext because your interested in a carbon knife but don't want to go through all of the thinning work etc that a hiro AS will entail.

The carbonext ships pretty much without an edge. The Hiromoto AS ships sharp. It will outperform a carbonext out of the box. Don't get me wrong, I love my carbonext. But if a Hiromoto AS is your first choice, I'd get that. It is said to be a bit thick behind the edge, but if you're coming to a hiro from a wusthof, it's going to feel like a piece of sharpened tinfoil for a while. Thinning a knife behind the edge is no more difficult than establishing a bevel, and you won't need to do it right away.

You should probably get both.

Back