Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening vs Stropping

Sharpening vs Stropping

Hey guys so i have read tons of threads asking if stropping is necessary or worth it instead of just sharpening your knife.

i have been doing some experiments to see how it affects my knives.

I find that i like stropping to prolong a full sharpening more than i like touching up my knives on a stone. Its faster, it works quite well and your not removing as much material from your knife.

For me i want my knives to last as long as possible, and always be as sharp as possible so for example i have had my Mario custom for about 2.5 months and i have only sharpened it twice and i work in a pro kitchen and thats my main knife.

As far as performance i find that after a while stropping will only do so much and then will get duller quicker, which is when i will touch it up on the stone to remove some fatigued steel.

Once i feel the edge wont hold up anymore then i will go back through a full progression again but if i can get a month out of it rather than a week i think my knife will last a lot longer.

what do you guys think? has anyone found any other techniques or different results?

i strop on stones lately. stopped stropping on leather, doesn't seem to help me much or maybe it's just my technique or my abrassive media.

I strop on a king 6000 and if I have time I follow it with a balsa strop.

In a pro kitchen I do it almost every day to keep that just sharpened edge feeling

Perhaps I'm shortening the life of my knife but I don't really care I sharpen basically every other day sometimes every day. I don't do a full progression each time usually just touch ups but about once a week I drop down to my king 1.3k and then run back up to 6k. I don't have any strops and only strop on newspaper at the end of sharpening to help with deburring.

I've started keeping a dual loaded balsa strop in a sealed bag in my knife kit. Chromium on one side for the yanagiba and diamond on the other side for most everything else. Super convenient, and I'm not worried about getting it wet or damaged. This keeps the ceramic rod at bay too.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

To be honest from using a variety of different knives, I think the maximum performance I can get out of any knives is about 2 weeks without sharpening or using the Mac rod. Stropping is pretty much essential to me

I strop on a rika to maintain my edges at work.

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    what do you guys think? has anyone found any other techniques or different results?
    I agree with your conclusion here, my approach is the same.

Out of curiosity, what are you stropping with?
    I have been using CrO on balsa and, although I am sorely tempted by diamond on felt, I don't think it's matters too too much so long as its some kind of appropriate stropping medium. I try to remember the over obsession of stropping materials that once existed on the other forum and avoid that in my own life. After all, there is always the frighteningly sharp crap Murray Carter turns out with his meager stone/strop solution...
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I strop on a rika to maintain my edges at work.
    Me too been stropping on polishing stones more these days,since I learned it fr. Murry Carter,works better for touchups than rods or strops.Just keep a soaker in some water.That being said I still like to finish wt the strop when returning knives it is a nice touch.