Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nesmuk?

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I've had the fortune of testing out the above knife and I can say that I was nothing less than astounded with the sharpness.
    Not trying to be a dick, but sharpness is not really a quality of a good knife, its the outcome of good, thoughtful sharpening. Not to mention being sharp is not #1 on the list of priorities for kitchen knives(for scalpels it is).

What is good about these knives in your experience? Edge retention? Profile? Balance? Ease of sharpening? Comfort?

Reminds me of Model T that H. Ford purportedly remarked about "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"

Nesmuk makes one or two sizes and one shape. The hand-forged versions (the more expensive ones) have geometry of hammer-series Yoshi. Supposedly it can get very sharp, but it will still wedge in root vegetables. I do like Nesmuk board design.

Here is a video in German
    http://www.nesmuk.com/flash/kabel1_1/nesmuk.html

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Ive never seen their boards before you mentioned they had them Marko. They do look nice, very elegant, I like the L shaped juice channel. I notice their finger cutouts look awfully familiar But the individual blocks that make up the board look kinda small, and they don't look offset at all.

The guy who makes the Nesmuks lives and works about 50km away from me. I visited his forge, it is impressive how labor intensive it is to forge real damascus but next to the insane prices, I even like the santoku blade profile better than the Nesmuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I've had the fortune of testing out the above knife and I can say that I was nothing less than astounded with the sharpness. As far as Chef knives go, Nesmuk outperform anything I've ever used from Japan (except perhaps Tsukasa Hinoura). My major issue with Nesmuk knives is that they are too short and thus I find them as useless as a Santoku.

Anyhow, I came across an interesting little video sometime back, check it out:

http://www.messerimport.ch/der-schmied/index.php

Shimmer, please tell us about yourself and your interest and background in knives.

The 4-sided strop they have on their site here looks like a pretty clever idea. Ignoring the scandalous price of course. If it had a fancy handle it could be semi-justifiable, but it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    The 4-sided strop they have on their site here looks like a pretty clever idea. Ignoring the scandalous price of course. If it had a fancy handle it could be semi-justifiable, but it doesn't
    Didn't Salty make something similar to this a little while back?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Didn't Salty make something similar to this a little while back?
    Yup. Didn't cost $415 either.

In fact, the Salty version is way better. The handle on theirs seems like a stupid idea, the pads are thin width wise, and if you put compounds on it, there is no base to keep it off the table.