Quantcast
Looking for a nakiri
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a nakiri

Looking for a nakiri

Wonder if I could get some opinions from you guys regarding a nakiri. I'm looking for something with very good edge sharpness and longevity, perhaps blue steel or other tool steel. PReferably SS clad though. Wa handle. I very much prefer thin knives, but I understand geometry makes a difference. I'm sensitive to any wedging, I like a knife to slide through things like butter. Given that what would be a good knife?

For now I've ordered Sakai Takayuki Damascus to play with, hopefully it is not too short at 160mm. I wish 180mm were more common. Anyone used this Zensho nakiri? Exactly what I want, but I'm not sure about how good the geometry is? I'm also considering Kumugoro at EE, although it is apparently somewhat related to the manufacturer of the Yoshikane, and that looks like a pretty thick blade.

Get a Watanabe Pro. Blue paper steel clad in stainless with a kuro-uchi finish. Thin and 180 mm.

http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/nakkiri.htm

Thanks to Pensacola Tiger, I have the Watanabe he describes...been pleased with it, just put a new edge on it for the first time yesterday, now back to cutting like a champ.

Also: welcome to KKF!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Looks nice but I'm not sure if I want to go up that far in price, especially after shipping and duties. What is the geometry like? Any pics?

I own a zensho and really like it. The knife is quite thin behind the edge and cuts wonderfully. I'd post pics of mine but all I have is a cell phone camera and the photos won't be nearly as good as the ones already on Maxim's website (or the video he has up). If youre in Europe, I think there's a zensho someone posted in the B/S/T forum not long ago.
    - Erik

I recommend a Takeda. it's not clad in stainless, but the kuroichi is the next best thing. I have a Takeda nakiri and it is very thin, easy to get sharp, and has a nice handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon-Rukh View Post
    I own a zensho and really like it. The knife is quite thin behind the edge and cuts wonderfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoNole View Post
    I recommend a Takeda. it's not clad in stainless, but the kuroichi is the next best thing. I have a Takeda nakiri and it is very thin, easy to get sharp, and has a nice handle.
    So no issues with wedging or sticking? I tend to slice more than chop, so I really notice with carrots and potatoes any of that behaviour. How is edge retention? I should have got the Takeda just for the price alone since I'm just dipping my toe in to the waters and probably won't keep the first knife I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Looks nice but I'm not sure if I want to go up that far in price, especially after shipping and duties. What is the geometry like? Any pics?
    I took this one before Zweifel bought it from me:

It hasn't changed much
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

One of my favorites is a Shig suminagashi nakiri... I agree Watanabe makes a good one as well..

Tom has one from Butch Harner at his store that you might also want to consider.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread