Looking for a nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augerpro

Reaction score
Wonder if I could get some opinions from you guys regarding a nakiri. I'm looking for something with very good edge sharpness and longevity, perhaps blue steel or other tool steel. PReferably SS clad though. Wa handle. I very much prefer thin knives, but I understand geometry makes a difference. I'm sensitive to any wedging, I like a knife to slide through things like butter. Given that what would be a good knife?

For now I've ordered Sakai Takayuki Damascus to play with, hopefully it is not too short at 160mm. I wish 180mm were more common. Anyone used this Zensho nakiri? Exactly what I want, but I'm not sure about how good the geometry is? I'm also considering Kumugoro at EE, although it is apparently somewhat related to the manufacturer of the Yoshikane, and that looks like a pretty thick blade.

Thanks to Pensacola Tiger, I have the Watanabe he describes...been pleased with it, just put a new edge on it for the first time yesterday, now back to cutting like a champ.

Also: welcome to KKF!

Looks nice but I'm not sure if I want to go up that far in price, especially after shipping and duties. What is the geometry like? Any pics?

I own a zensho and really like it. The knife is quite thin behind the edge and cuts wonderfully. I'd post pics of mine but all I have is a cell phone camera and the photos won't be nearly as good as the ones already on Maxim's website (or the video he has up). If youre in Europe, I think there's a zensho someone posted in the B/S/T forum not long ago.

I recommend a Takeda. it's not clad in stainless, but the kuroichi is the next best thing. I have a Takeda nakiri and it is very thin, easy to get sharp, and has a nice handle.

I own a zensho and really like it. The knife is quite thin behind the edge and cuts wonderfully.

I recommend a Takeda. it's not clad in stainless, but the kuroichi is the next best thing. I have a Takeda nakiri and it is very thin, easy to get sharp, and has a nice handle.

So no issues with wedging or sticking? I tend to slice more than chop, so I really notice with carrots and potatoes any of that behaviour. How is edge retention? I should have got the Takeda just for the price alone since I'm just dipping my toe in to the waters and probably won't keep the first knife I buy.

Looks nice but I'm not sure if I want to go up that far in price, especially after shipping and duties. What is the geometry like? Any pics?

I took this one before Zweifel bought it from me:

file-15.jpg

One of my favorites is a Shig suminagashi nakiri... I agree Watanabe makes a good one as well..

:cool2:

Tom has one from Butch Harner at his store that you might also want to consider.

Good luck!

I second the idea of a Harner Nakiri.
Here is a photo of mine.
1-41.jpg

Thanks for the mention, but it sold last week to the luckiest guy around. :D In all honesty, it is in my "top knives I've ever touched" list. It was just unreal...so, yes, contact Butch!

I miss that knife already, and it was never even mine... A great cheaper option would be Carter.

+1 Love my Takeda Nakiri.

So no issues with wedging or sticking? I tend to slice more than chop, so I really notice with carrots and potatoes any of that behaviour. How is edge retention? I should have got the Takeda just for the price alone since I'm just dipping my toe in to the waters and probably won't keep the first knife I buy.

The Takeda is a perfect slicer. The edge is wicked sharp and there isnt any sticking issues unless your in some unripe squash thats really thick. Potatoes and carrots are a cakewalk. Where do you live?

Big Nakiri

I have always preferred a higher height due to knuckel clearance issues as I would like it as a mini chefs knife without the weight adn extreme height.

SUgimoto has a big nakiri which I found out recently

Big Nakiri
Length: 19cm
Blade height 65mm
Weight: 240grams
has a belly and not straight as in the traditional nakiri

Balance point: forward around the capital S of the tradename engraved on it.

WHereas the CHinese chefs knife 4030 stainless steel is of 19cm long, blade height 95mm, weight 300 grams.

a diff of 30mm in height and 60 grams in weight.

BOth comes with the stubby handle.

I have ordered the big Nakiri eventhough it is HIgh Carbon adn not OMS steel. THey did indicate that they will make a stainless steel version shortly..

Hv fun

D

Back