Greetings and Thank You

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoimin

Reaction score
Hello KKF

As a nominal home cook (more like can opener/microwaver), my first taste of "high-end" kitchen knives occurred while researching what knives to list on my wedding gift registry. Needless to say, once I started using knives that were actually sharp, the knuttiness quickly set in and I wanted to learn more because I knew I had settled on simply adequate knives.

For months, I bemoaned my inability to find a forum that I could rely upon to learn about knife maintenance, steel types, and respected brand names. I finally found KKF after cross-referencing some member's YouTube videos I enjoyed with the names I saw mentioned on a member's knife review site.

After lurking for over 2 months, I've decided to take the next step in my research to upgrade my knife skills, sharpening and kitchen tools.

Thank you for the invaluable knowledge, experience and wisdom you have all (already) imparted. I'm looking forward to learning even more and finally putting some steel to the stones.

Hey cool my videos brought another one into the fold!

Beee one of usss... Beee one of ussss....
:knife::knife::knife::knife::knife::knife::knife:

Welcome aboard!

Thank you all for your kind welcome!

Hey cool my videos brought another one into the fold!

Beee one of usss... Beee one of ussss....
:knife::knife::knife::knife::knife::knife::knife:

Welcome aboard!

You did indeed.

Thanks, Zwiefel! That's a lot of solid information to digest!

Welcome welcome! And a fellow Torontonian, too!

Welcome aboard. Which knives are you starting with?

I currently have a Henckels Twin Signature set: Bread knife, 100mm paring, 150mm utility, 180mm santoku; as well as a 210mm Global G-2 (gyuto).

My plan is to learn to use what I have to the best of my ability, and learn to sharpen on these softer Western steels. I have read here that the Global will be tough to sharpen properly (resilient wire-edge?), but is otherwise a nice tough knife that I still baby as it is the best of what I have.

My plan is to learn to sharpen on a good starter medium grit stone before actually replacing the knives with...
Target setup:
240 mm gyuto
150 mm honesuki
100 mm petty
Keep the Henckels bread knife

Back